Thursday, May 24, 2012

Phi Beta Ferrerman

Via a glitch in Facebook, i got a link from an insane friend of mine who is a rabid Ron Paul supporter. I'd speak with Zuck personally but he is honeymooning and possibly hiding out from Federal investigators.

I hid my friend because a Ferrerman can only scroll past so many Ron Paul videos before he says enough is enough. Why can't she be like everybody else and post pics of her garden or some birthday party? No, what slipped through was a video of some girl talking about how she was quitting college because they were doing nothing but promoting a liberal, Marxist agenda.

Here's the fun part: The girl was attending The University Of Fucking UTAH! (Not it's official name, BTW) Utah, that bastion of liberal progressiveness. Was she trying to say that Utah is not conservative enough? My friend is pretty out there but, Utah being liberal is hard to swallow.

No, in tandem with other sentiments of hers, she was proclaiming that NO ONE should go to college. That's in the news these days. College is elitist and goes against the GOP philosophy of "Arbeit Macht Frei" which, I think translates to "No Unions/Benefits".

Well, college isn't for everyone. That's a fact. When you look at the massive student debt and how incredibly hard it is to pay off student loans, one might want to think twice about sending your child off to college. If you watch a cable show like "Campus PD" you might call your kid home now. It seems all those kids do is get pathetically drunk and stupid and create new games to achieve that. You can do that in your basement at home. The guy throwing up on his shoes may one day be a captain of industry or a doctor but, really, what are the odds? College is a horrible place to learn how to drink. When I went to college (as a visitor) I already knew how to drink and, well, a lot of those kids weren't doing it right.

So, though this was the pre-Reagan era and money was available, I just couldn't see my young self going off to college and trying to figure out a career for myself. This, I think, is what many kids do. For a lot of people, going to college is the natural order of things. It's what you do after high school, duh! I still think that college-educated people make more money than non-college types but, yes, there are PHD's driving cabs. In my case, I just didn't know what I wanted to do with my life at that point. I knew I didn't want to be cooped up in an office, pushing papers and this is what I thought the end result of college would be. I think a lot of life is making the check points and some of the dumbest people I know have done this and been reasonably successful at it. College looks good on many resumes and is a requirement. I figured writing was maybe somewhere in my future and, college wasn't going to ensure that. You either feel this or it doesn't happen. No one can tell me how to do this. No one should. I may regret not having gone because I think I would have made a fine teacher. Teaching what exactly, I don't know. Again, that's why I didn't go. I have teachers in my family and circle of friends. I admire them very much.

This scorched earth policy that seems to be at the core of GOP *thinking* and Ron Paul as well, angers me. When they say no one should go to college, they mean no one but the children of the One Percent. Maybe that is why it is "elite"? The moment Barack Obama was elected they decided it was time for their cultural revolution. Burn America to the ground on his watch and rebuild it. Purge intellectuals and education. Who thinks like this?

Communists do. Historically, they go into the village and kill all the elected officials and educators- anyone who can lead, teach people to think. Though conservatives are not communists, they act like them in so many ways. It's all about control of the masses by the few, for the benefit of the few. Rather than at gunpoint, they like to make people feel it's their idea.This is why my hidden friend believes no one should go to elitist, progressive universities that only serve to indoctrinate.... She missed the part where she has been indoctrinated, to think so. If you want to advise young people, unsure of themselves, to not go to college and rack up incredible, high-interest debt, fine. That is good food for thought. School loans are the child support of the 21st century. There is no bailout, no bankruptcy. Only pay or die. No, they won't kill you but, you will not get SS or medicare in your old age if you have not paid your student loans. It's run by banks now. You know how they are with money. They can fail all day long but, you can't. You have to man or woman up.

I saw a guy on "60 Minutes" this past Sunday who will give $100,000 to selected students to drop out of college and use his cash to develop their ideas for a business. I understand that until it is revealed he's a Libertarian with an agenda. Young Zuckerberg did not graduate Harvard. He was too busy with Facebook. You know what happened there. Bill Gates is another fine example. He created Microsoft sans diploma. Well, there ya go! That's all ya gotta do....

Nope, college is not for everyone. Those two do not prove that, however. The kid puking his guts out after a frat party doesn't necessarily prove that either though there are far more drunk-ass students than there are entrepreneurs but, they may go on to become brilliant alcoholics in some field. You never know. They might get sober.

This is America. We find things out. We don't go into (our) villages and cut off heads. If we are to remain free, we need to continue to educate ourselves. We need to be able to think for ourselves and recognize propaganda when we hear it, the corruption of our minds when we see it and the stealing of our souls when we feel it.

I'm a student of life. I learned this on the streets. I'm very lucky to have the education that I have. Others in my country want a Harvard educated elitist to lead my country back into the 19th century. If you're keeping score at home, it's the White guy. He got his and he and others want to close the door behind them and nail it shut. This cannot be good. These elitist motherfuckers can't swing a hammer to save a country. They can only tear it down.

5 comments:

Mysterious man from the Shadows said...

Sure, if the only way for a person to go to college is to rack up lots of debt, it's probably a wise decision *not* to go, unless they plan to major in a very lucrative field.

Curiously, some of the Republicans are quite excited about the idea of people being ruined by student loan debt. Rush Limbaugh, not too long ago, was absolutely horrified by the mere thought that Obama's administration might forgive student debt.

And, as you say, a lot of them hate the idea of people going to college even if they can pay for it without any loans. Too much risk of exposure to diverse ideas and people for their tastes, I think.

Mysterious man from the Shadows said...

I should amend the first paragraph above: if you really want the college experience, and all the intangible benefits of friends and knowledge and "broadening your horizons", than it might be worth it to someone to go into debt and major in Theater. There is certainly more to life than money--but I think some kids go in not quite realizing that there is, nonetheless, money.

ex-ferrer said...

Certainly, except for parental pressure, no one is *forced* to go to college. A lot of people go to figure out what they want to do in life and that is really their call. Like most things in life, you get out what you put in. It's just incredible to me that conservatives would make so much noise about this. It's as if they're tipping their hand: 'You don't need college to work in a coal mine or go to jail'. What do they expect of us beyond 19th century work ethic if they take away education, unions and social safety nets? They simply want a barefoot, pregnant society of workers. That sounds like old Russia/China to me.

Sue J said...

Is your 'college' University? Or is it a step in the direction of University? I'm always a bit confused about this. We have Primary School, High School and Uni. High School ends at 18 and then it's on to Uni for the ones who pass the entrance test and want to go. They always make it quite clear that having a University degree will not guarantee you a job, though.
I've thought for some considerable time that there seems to be a 'dumbing down' of education. There doesn't seem to be the emphasis on the 3 Rs like there used to be. Many kids seem to be as thick as two short planks, and you have to look at the education system and wonder. Oh, yes, they can all do wonders on the computer and the calculator, but when the computers drop out at the supermarkets they can't make change! They seem quite amazed that I've added up what I've purchased and have the correct money ready at the checkout - or as near as I can get.

ex-ferrer said...

College = University. We have every kind of college imaginable. One can go to a 'junior' or 'community' college was well as the typical 4 year program. One of the major things conservatives want to cut is public school funding. They first began their assault on teachers, calling them 'over-paid' and- of course- 'liberal indoctrinators of children'. To keep taxes low, eliminate public schools. Children who aren't working in sweatshops can be home-schooled... the wealthy can have private school. Sigh...it's the way they envision America. Yep, it is curious that a wealth of info is a google away these days but, without that, many young people simply don't know how to think, how to reason, how to figure out if what they are googling is right or wrong. As other countries advance, these people want us to retreat.