Monday, May 28, 2012

Heckle AND Jeckle

Here's a nice piece from NPR on heckling:

http://www.npr.org/2012/05/25/153689959/hey-you-the-unstoppable-rise-of-heckling?sc=fb&cc=fp

The internet is all about heckling. It's not just Topix, of course, but pretty much any site you might go to, even NPR. It's less about someone having something to say and not knowing how to express themselves intelligently than it is about people being assholes to others simply because they can.

With varying degrees of moderation in effect, you can pretty much say anything to anyone on a forum. Topix, for example, is very loosely moderated. It does have an automatic language filter which usually stops someone from calling someone a cocksucker but, corksoaker is okay and gets the point across. Surprisingly though, "fuck" is acceptable on the comments sections of many forums, even the media ones. However, enough complaints might cause such posts to be pulled eventually. Most terms of service request that people be nice and watch their language.

I constantly get heckled on Topix. My obsessed stalker sees to that. His full-time job is following me all around Topix iconning and making stupid comments on every post I make. I'm guessing his design in this is to make everyone think: "Well, I guess that remark by that Ferrerman guy must be 'totally gay' because these three posters from the same town in Ohio all concur that it is! Who knew?"

And, of course, thousands of others on Topix get heckled, by people who maybe aren't even *Sam*. He's not the only asshole on Topix even though it sure seems like it.

In Comedy Clubs, the heckler is usually some drunk, comic-wannabe, empowered and fueled by alcohol. He or she might even think that they are part of the act, something both the entertainer and audience have come to expect. A good comedian knows how to put them down in a deft, funny way. A bad comedian is Michael "Kramer" Richards and goes off on an ugly diatribe.

On the internet it's far less up close and personal than a bar where annoying people can get your ass kicked, usually deservedly so. As a Ferrerman, I'm quite well known for my rapier-like wit. Topix Boothill is filled with the avatars of those who have tried to take on The Ferrerman and lost. They don't actually die, mind you but, they change their screen names in shame or post unregistered in fear of Ferrerman. This is humorous to me because the very thing that gives them anonymity protects their sorry asses from actually getting kicked by Ferrerman. Yet they run and hide in lonely, fearful desperation relentlessly not pursued by the Ferrerman, not obsessed with their capture.

See, after a few smackdowns, these people have shown themselves to be bitter cowards, unworthy of my ferrerness. Though I do reserve the right to bitch slap a bitch like Sam, that's not what my posting is about. If in 100 posts to or about me by a sam, I respond to two or three, it's because I thought of a really funny comeback. This internet stuff truly writes itself! Idiots say the darndest things! So generally, I ignore those that are sam or sam-like in their heckling. Why encourage them? Just posting their crap to me or some other *victim* is enough to keep them alive to troll another day. A response might throw them into masturbatory orgasmic delight. Who knows? Who wants to know?

They're not my fault, nor my responsibility. Ignoring trolls truly is the best revenge.

A few weeks ago I totally cut off Angelique770's new gang. My friend Hegel did as well. She, like me, reports the wonderful feeling one gets when one quits banging one's head against the wall. 770, Sublime1 and Kevin were three of the most useless wastes of time the internet has ever known. They probably still are.  I haven't checked.... But, again, I reserved the right to continue to post on Topix- Offbeat- and continue battling vulgar, phony conservatives as I see fit. I've all but given up on several of them, as well. Giving A770 a run for her money, for example, is that creepy Billy R. If there is a more effete, nattering nabob of foolishness on the threads, i've certainly scrolled over that person and, so, can't think of one. And when his BIL, *Oki* gets to posting about the coming Civil War and his desire to kill liberals, you can only taunt an idiot like that so much before you realize, it's not fun anymore. The fucker's serious! Drunk probably but, serious. You needn't defend any Obama policies to an idiot whose dream in life is to execute  people who are smarter than him in a FEMA camp. Is there enough ammunition in the world for something like that?

But, I digress. Heckling. They're here! They jeer! Ya get used to it...for they have no earthly clue how stupid they show themselves to be.

5 comments:

Mysterious man from the Shadows said...

I heard that in New York, they're trying to ban anonymous commenting to cut down on the heckling. Seems to me that that would be the end of Topix.

Years ago, when I was on there, it amazed me how posts about anything--*anything*--immediately devolved into a few people endlessly flinging insults at one another.

I will say this for on-line hecklers, though: they must have longer attention spans then their real-life counterparts. It takes some commitment to continually hassle somebody on a forum. Of course, this also indicates they have nothing better to do in their real lives...

ex-ferrer said...

It's only gotten worse, MM. It's a real troll fest. It's not hard to track someone. If someone appears weak, others will pounce like hyenas. Then, with gray-boxing and multiple avatars they make it look like a whole army of people hates a person. Theatre of the absurd. Posting well is the best revenge.

When I see it on media sites it seems to usually be more politically motivated, like attacking someone will defeat Obama and such. Topix is that but much more personal. You disagree with someone about one little thing and you might have a lifetime enemy. LOL! They are persistent! Full lives, indeed.

Anonymous said...

I still need to figure out what topix is! Any chance you can get Thingy to come back? I miss her!

The first I realized how HORRIBLE people are when commenting/posting anonymously was when my son and his friends posted a youtube video and the first comment was

FAGS! I'm going to kill your family

I about gave up on people completely after that!

Mysterious Man from the Shadows said...

@Trixie

You ever seen Star Wars? You know the scene where Obi-Wan says "you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy." Well, he never found Topix. Our distinguished host excepted, it is an Internet forum on news stories where people who know nothing about one another fight constantly and put various silly but contemptuous labels on one another's posts.

At least, that's what it was when I was there.( Also, I miss Thingy too.)

ex-ferrer said...

Yikes! I don't blame you. Too many people are cruel just cause they can be, with no repercussions. It's empty, viscious epithets but still vulgar, just the same.

There's some wonderful folks out there though. That's how I came to know Thingy! The good far out-weighs the bad.