Saturday, March 15, 2014

Ju Ju Ninja Stuntz

Remember that incident in New York City last year when a gang of bikers terrorized a young family and then chased and beat up the father after he kinda freaked out and ran over one of the gang when they surrounded him because he didn't know how to handle himself when surrounded by assholes on ninja motorcycles? Whatever happened with that story? I'm asking you because I don't know.

And I'm asking because I just saw JuJu Chang of ABC News do a piece on a loose-knit gang of ninja motorcyclists whose goal so far in life was to shutdown a bridge in Charleston, South Carolina. These guys are really talented riders and can do wheelies and can stand up while riding and brake with the front wheel without flipping over. All neat tricks. No doubt. These guys aren't even professionals so they don't have to give the usual disclaimer about not trying these stuntz at home but, don't try these stunts at home!

Or, on the fucking expressway. The leader explained- in pure idiot savant logic- that the riders were better on their bikes than the car drivers who are poorly trained, texting, applying make up, etc. Well, OK. Since you put it that way, may I ask what the fuck difference  that makes? For extra credit, what kind of sense does that make? Take your time.

You can be the couple that won the Gold in Pairs Figure Skating but if you do your routine in the middle of the Hawks/Wings game or open skate at the Ice Chalet, people are going to get hurt. Duh.

Before there was the internet, there were letters to the editor and a few decades ago, I remember reading a few from a guy who felt he was such an excellent driver that he and others like him should have special licenses where they could drive their European sports cars as fast as they wanted...on the highways...where other people drive while putting on their make up- but not texting at the time. See- people have always been selfish idiots. They've just never been sure where best to be selfish idiots.  For the race car driver-wannabe, I was thinking the track! With other racers! Or do you like competing with drunks, little old ladies in Buicks, semis, families out to visit relatives, teens who just got that piece of paper and, in general, people not nearly as skilled as you?

Same with the crotch-rocket crowd. I don't ride mostly because I think of all the close calls I've had on 4 wheels and figure I'd be dead X-times over if I had been on a bike. Why put life and limb in the hands of the road companions I mentioned above? How 'bout that road less traveled?

These Charlestown ninjas had the bright idea that they should shut down the local bridge, pretty much because they could. Maybe. They're young and restless and looking for kicks and wanting to stick it to the man, brophus! The usual nonsense.

Word got out that they were going to close down the bridge and take it over on a certain date. That's where the very spankable Ju Ju Chang and Nightline came in. She interviewed the ninjas and the cops about their plans. Ju Ju has some brass ovaries on her- in her- because she put on a helmet and got on the back of some dude's bike and he went off and did some of his tricks. Not many news personalities could or would do that. She clearly liked it but she didn't make a big deal out of it. JuJu Chang does her own stunts! I appreciated that. She was just getting the story.

In the end it wasn't much of a story. The cops were out in full force with a helicopter, their own motorcycles and plenty of manpower in cars and the whole thing stalled when one of the lead ninjas was spotted sporting a firearm. He was legal to carry and pulled over for the cops when they lit him up. For some reason this took the wind out of the ninja sails and they were unable to shut the bridge down. They all just kinda gave up and drifted away, free to plot another day.

Why was the guy sporting a firearm at an event where he and his friends were going to break all sorts of traffic laws including evading arrest but not do any shooting? Well, I guess because he could. If not for that, maybe they pull it off. Who knows? Someone's always doing something they shouldn't, just because they can. Ain't that life?

4 comments:

Maggie said...

No thanks to motorbikes.

Yeah, I wanna know, too, what happened. Detective thingy on it.

ex-ferrer said...

I expect a full report, Detective thingy or I'll have your badge!

Yep, a lot of bikes are beautiful and even sexy but I'm a truck and car Ferrerman. I like my skin, limbs and waking up in the morning to coffee too much.

Anonymous said...

byline: Deer Whisperer/Luke

Happy St. Paddy's Day! [ I guess I could have written this on the bartender entry !! ]

I've only been on a motorcycle once; many moons ago when a buddy invited me to take the passenger space to get a sense of it. So, I did. I had NO previous time being on one, so it would have been stupid for me to operate it.

He didn't do any stupid stuff and it was a good ride for what it was. My funds were not going to buy and maintain a motorcycle however.

I appreciate the engineering and art of motorcycles, as I do with cars and trucks.


Don't make me look this stuff up: I think about 10 riders of that group where the dude was dragged out of his van were indicted and trials have, or are close to, started.

I think that some of that same group had prior incidents of effectively shutting down an expressway and/or street(s) @ NYC and doing tricks.

And other groups have too in other cities.

I saw all this on the color TV pertaining to the progress of the justice system re: that bunch of hoodlums charged with assaulting that guy in the van.

ex-ferrer said...

I enjoyed dirt bikes back in the day. That's a lot of fun and generally only as dangerous as you want make it. Back in HS I rode on back of a buddies bike as we left a party. We were drunk and I held on to a 12 pack, He hit every dip in the road where the sewers were to get us airborne. That was some stupid fun but I swore I'd never be a passenger again.