Thursday, March 20, 2014

Google THIS Ferrerman!

Recently, Topix poster and one-time blogger, Sublime1, questioned my use of the Statcounter service I use here. I say "one-time blogger" by the way, because Sublime blogged just one time and then he quit because he sucked.  It was some over-wrought piece about the virtues of smoking weed. Dedicated non-readers know that Those who can, blog. Those who can't, write boring posts on Topix instead. The blogging biz isn't for everyone.

However, probably every serious blogger in the blogosphere uses Statcounter to accurately account for their audience's tastes. Aside from a more accurate accounting of blog hits, it will tell the blogger what posts people are reading and how much time readers are spending on the blog. It's pretty useful info...to a blogger. I like knowing who is reading and where in the world they are reading from. For example, one of my more viscious trolls has a Marysville, Ohio IP address- among others. When I first began using Statcounter I noticed I'd be getting around a hundred hits a day and 50-60 were from Marysville. The whole town didn't read me, just one obsessive dickhead. This asshole was habitchually (sic) checking my blog all day and night. I wanted a fair count so, I blocked the IP to keep things kosher. Mind you, the slug could still read obsessively, but MLB (Major League Blogging) wouldn't suspect I had been juicing! When I enter the Blogging Hall Of Fame, I don't want an asterisk by the Ferrerman name on my special day and people whispering any more than they should.

I have a general curiosity as to who my audience is and where they hail from.  Statcounter gives you the readers name, address, phone number, Social Security number, penis size (where applicable) mother's maiden name and installs a camera in their shower and bedroom. I gotta tell ya- i've  got some of the nakedest non-readers ever! Very limber too! I wish they'd wash their hands more though. But hey- the blogs I read say the same about me!

Well, I kid, mostly because as soon as I say or post things like that, certain people set fire to their hair and start running around screaming that their hair is on fire. The Statcounter shows that too. I'll link it later. The IP address does tell you where a person's Internet Service Provider is. And that's pretty much it. Everywhere you go on the internet, your IP address goes with you. That's the way it is. I would have thought I was the last person to know that but, evidently Sublime is.

Other websites do track your every move but- admittedly- Google and Facebook and a few hundred thousand(?) other sites are a tad more sophisticated than the Ferrerman blog. We're kinda bare bones here. It's enough to get me to put on pants when I blog. I don't care where you shop, for example, because I'm not trying to sell you anything.

The IP's, by the way, simply display the location designated by the Internet Service Provider. I gather that for most people in in the general area of their home. I was getting hounded by some idiot calling itself "ITK Cubsfan" who I suspected was the Marysville asshole because he'd try and comment "sup, pie" a couple times a day, every day. A google search showed the fuckhead was posting from Wichita, Kansas rather than Pekin, Indiana like it showed on the Statcounter. Over time two more ITK locations showed (ultimately) in Wichita. Whoever it was, they've been having a proxy fail. I've been meaning to tell them that but, I don't know who they are...

By the way, Clackamas, Oregon,  you are my number one dedicated non-reader according to Statcounter! Number two is when you read from Portland....A LOT!



2 comments:

LOL said...

He'd have to have hair in order to set it on fire!

Anonymous said...

byline: Deer Whisperer/Luke

I've seen Statcounter used on quite a few non-blog websites. There's gotta be a good reason, huh?!

I wouldn't be surprised a'tall that the blatantly "vocal" non-readers on topix have been your highest hit counts.