Friday, August 24, 2012

Life: Put A Little Boogie In It

Last night my faith in humanity was restored. Yes, they voted Mike Boogie out of the Big Brother house. All is (somewhat) right in the world now.

I blame Thingy... but, the stupid reality show, Big Brother, is a guilty pleasure of mine and has been, well, since before I knew Thingy. She's still gonna get it!

Anyhoo, all the people on the BB show are also fans of the show. This season, four people were veterans of the show including past winners.  Most people, it would seem would be wary of winners if they were to go in competition with them, certainly if they are like Boogie- one of the most famous duplicitous bastards in the history of a show geared towards duplicity. You'd also expect that rookies would be wary of veteran players who had not won because they probably know where they went wrong. You know- like maybe they weren't duplicitous enough or even bastardy. They'd be looking to correct that.

Especially Mike Boogie who is a smarmy, squirrelly, Joe Fucking Kool without portfolio, kinda guy. I think he's from Vermont or around there, so he's Vermont Kool. But, he's been on TV and he's pretty good at playing that game at least.

And that's the thing. Everybody who watches the show knows how he plays the game and knows he can't be trusted but, until last night, they allowed themselves to be manipulated by the guy who is really good at manipulating people, and can't be trusted.

(Ferrerman note: You know who you can't trust in life? People who say: "trust me". Just trust me on that, 'cause it's true...) DOH!

If you haven't seen the show, I don't blame you. But, if you've seen life or post on Topix- you've seen the show. Like Life, you use people to get ahead. Like Topix, you lie. However, instead of lying for self-aggrandizement as on Topix, you lie to get ahead. This is where life and reality and TV and chat rooms blend together in one big, gray area. It greatly bemuses me on shows like BB or Survivor that, when people discover they've been lied to, they get mad! Imagine that! Someone lied to you on a show about lying. There aren't exactly any rules on these shows. There's no ethics except maybe after the fact and then you just look silly protesting that, in a quest for butt loads of money, someone stabbed you in the back. Who woulda seen that coming?!

But again, worse is sitting there like a republican while the top candidates explain that helping them is good for you, and you believe it. It's like watching Rmoney & Ryan telling commoners that giving tax breaks to rich people will help them. And they buy it. Essentially that's what Boogie and Frank (his vice president) were telling these people. "Get rid of strong players like Janelle and Dan because they are the ones who will get ya! We can protect you from them, if you help us..." Sound familiar? It's the GOP platform, every fucking season...

I've oft compared Topix to these shows. There's no monetary prize though. No end or time limit. No point either. I'm not saying that money justifies anything but pursuing it makes more sense that being an asshole for free. Mike Boogie does it for a shot at $500,000. People on Topix have 500,000 less reasons to play. They just do it.

The duplicity and secret alliances are there on Topix. There's a gal who barrages me with PM's most every time there's a kerfuffle on OB. She's assured me I can trust her. So, I don't. The PM's (personal messages) are to find out what I know and what I might be doing next. She always talks about how she wishes everybody could get along and then she gives me a bit of info about someone to gain my confidence. On my end, I'm not gonna tell her anything important. I'm pretty sure she's reporting back to her superiors, mean things I say about them so, that's all I need to do. See, I'm doing this without lying. I really believe that so and so IS a cocksucking asshole. I'm not lying! And I'm surely at least, half right. The other day I included a certain phrase with an emphasis on a particular word. Then I sat back to see if that word showed up in context. It did. Two usual suspects and one I had been on the fence about used it, confirming what I already knew.

 I don't know why people do what they do. I understand republicans and Boogies and the relentless pursuit of money and fame. I just don't want to be like them. Not for free and not even for the money. I'm good with that. Pretty damn good actually....I could play for money....

2 comments:

Maggie said...

Uh-oh. : )

Well now that Ian played the mole, how soon do people turn on him? It's pretty interesting from a sociological pov. Yeah, that's why I watch it. Research.

ex-ferrer said...

SAME HERE! I get Topix tips from it though!

And it was nice that Boogie was able to appreciate that he got played and played rather well by the kid. He seemed genuinely impressed. I like Ian well enough.