Monday, August 27, 2012

Do you want fries with that?

I've got a new favorite show! "Bar Rescue". It's on SPIKE TV as I discovered yesterday while flannel chipping. They had a bunch of episodes,  I caught a few and I think I might become a regular.

Bar Rescue is kind of a "Yard Crashers" for bar/restaurants that are severely in the weeds. The expert comes in and along with a team analyzes what's wrong with the business, takes over and transforms it into an operation that actually makes money. That's pretty basic HGTV type programing but it's a nice take on it since it involves bar/restaurants instead of backyards and kitchens.

I was in the bar business for 15 years. I'm well versed in the bar aspect of it and can keep up with the back of the house dilemmas and even though I haven't poured a drink in anger in a long, long time, I still think about it. I have no idea what a Mojito is and, frankly, I don't wanna know. Can I get ya a beer instead?

Most of the kitchens I saw on the show were quite dirty. Some dangerously so. You might be very afraid if you were to spend time in the kitchen of your favorite restaurant. You might not. Actually, because of health codes (as long as we still have them...) public houses are held to a much higher standard than your house. It's all about common sense and whether you or they care to think and act on it. But, corners will be cut out of ignorance and certainly to promote profits.

People get into the restaurant and bar business because they think it looks fun and profitable. And ya know, if you've ever been out and about and the owner bought you a drink, you know how special you felt and you also know how god-like the owner appeared in your eyes. People want that power. They really do. That in itself may account for the thousands of restaurants that fail each week. A surprising number of people are truly flying by the seat of their pants, never having even been a cook, bartender or server before. The easiest way to make a small fortune in this business is to start out with a large one. No one teaches them about bar/food costs, menus, promoting the business, dealing with staff or food handling. Even the one's who might have a concept of these things find themselves overwhelmed in time. It's a tough business.

Jon Taffer is a tough guy. He looks and talks like he's be a semi-retired legbreaker for the mob. But, he's got 35 some years of bar/restaurant experience and I think it shows. He's been there and done that. Like all reality shows, there's conflict. These owners have contracted with the producers to have Jon take over their business and do whatever HE thinks is necessary to transform it. But, they still reserve the right to fight with him. THAT seems unreal but, I promise you, the ego and hard head you need to get into the business is VERY real. I haven't seen any re-enacted arguments yet. I would have liked to see Jon straighten out one of the places I worked at for the better and worse part of ten years. The better part was before the father passed the restaurant on to his son, possibly admonishing him, not to lose it. There's a lot of that too, in any business- apples falling not far from the tree and rotting away. I doubt Jon could have changed the Greek kid's evil ways. He sold that one before he lost it and wound up losing the next instead.

Like all the reality shows, the time frame seems ridiculous to me. Five days to clean a kitchen, change a menu, re-train a staff AND redecorate?! This isn't building a '65 GTO from the ground up, after all... No doubt they take the usual TV liberties here and I understand that.  Rome wasn't built in a day. Five, I guess...

But, I like the show. In checking it out on Wiki, I learned that one place resisted Jon and his staff's help even before they completed the show and went back to their original pirate theme!

Pirate theme. Now, THAT would be a helluva an episode for Yard Crashers.... Arggghhh!

4 comments:

Maggie said...

I've been watching the show with Gordon Ramsey, where pretty much does the same thing with restuarants (spelling?)
I don't see the thrill either. It just looks like hard work to me.

ex-ferrer said...

I believe Ramsey started it all. He was too loud and abusive for me even though he was right so, I felt like each episode was more of the same. It may turn out that way for this show too but, Taffer is more blunt than he is a screamer, making the show more palatable.

Restaurant has always been a hard word for me to spell! I'm never sure if I got it right and I worked in them for 15 years!

Barbi said...

I always thought owning a small restaurant would be fun until an old friend of mine warned me that 95% of restaurants go out of business due to lack of knowledge.
He operated a nice place in Newport Beach and was successful because he was a former PR guy. Then, he tried the same thing here in the East Bay, but our little community wasn't ready for a San Francisco style restaurant. Actually, it still isn't. We're still a bedroom community.
If you ran a bar for 15 years, Ferrerman, you obviously knew what you were doing.

ex-ferrer said...

I never managed. There wasn't any money in it. It was kinda funny we had hostesses who were 19, blonde, named some version of "Sherry" and had life and death control over us because they made $7 an hour and were probably sleeping with the owner. They knew nothing about the business. It wasn't always like that but, real managers were over-worked and underpaid.

Yep, I recall hearing something crazy like 5,000 restaurants opened and closed each week in the US. Tough business. What works here, won't necessarily work *there* as your friend found out.

Back in the day, we all used to wonder if we could/would have our own places. The hours it takes to run a place are insane. A HUGE commitment of time and money, and the odds are against you.