Saturday, August 4, 2012

And, who might you be?

http://www.technolog.msnbc.msn.com/technology/technolog/facebook-more-83-million-users-are-fake-919873

As someone pointed out, that's more than most European countries. Well, not surprising. I think there's really only twenty or so posters on Topix despite there being *thousands* posting at any given time.

The number of people who post as their pets is alarming. I actually know a couple that does this. My step-sister and her jerkoff husband have no kids but they do have a dog who has a FB account. I'm not friends with the dog or the jerkoff husband.

And I had to drop a *friend* who was an otherwise good poster because he had a penchant for friending "whores" (mostly of the European variety) who had, in turn, a penchant for trying to friend me. That was his business and I only had a problem with them bothering me. And since I really didn't know the guy (we had mutual friends) I couldn't ask him to stop being stupid so, I defriended him. Those girls- if not 300 plus pounds despite their photo portfolio's- are likely 300 pound dudes. That's his business too.

You're technically not supposed to have multiple accounts according to the FB terms of service. Evidently, since they've gone public they've had to crack down on that. Facebook is claiming 900+ million users, + or - a buncha million fakers.

So, after my Topix experience, I wasn't really surprised to see this. Voter fraud, is .0004% of voting and THAT is a crisis but, 8.9% of FB users are dogs or guys posing as women and everyone is pretty much like, "Yeah...what ev's..." Now that FB has gone public, they are accountable to stockholders and can't be inflating/padding the rolls. If this happened with Topix, they'd be fucked. Could you see an auditor checking IP's and discovering that half the posters on Topix were Sambilly, Kevin and a 300 pound, disabled longshoreman named "Lou"? That might cause a kerfuffle of sorts...

It's sad and extremely pathetic that the three above (and several dozen others) are the bulk of Topix. But, on the other hand, it's kind of encouraging too. On Offbeat I could read a vitriolic post and think: "Sheesh- ANOTHER IDIOT!" and have no hope for society. But, thankfully, I read that idiot and know it's most likely Sambilly. So, there's no hope for Sambilly but, the rest of the world might make it. Maybe.

I'm not going to say I'm flattered that these three (assuming they are not just one idiot) are so obsessed with me that each has dedicated every waking moment of their lives to stalking me. I'm not flattered. Sheesh, they are sociopaths. That doesn't make me feel special. I've got a John McClane-like ability to really, really piss off some assholes but, I can't help that. It's a gift. It would be wrong not to use it.

It's weird and it's creepy to have strangers thinking about you constantly. It's a celebrity that I didn't ask for. I post on Topix is all. If certain people cannot handle that and choose to make it their life's work to harrass me, there's nothing I have to do about that. I don't even have to feel sorry for them. Topix keeps them off the streets at least. You know, whenever a thing happens like the recent Colorado theatre shooting, it always flashes through my mind, "I wonder which poster did that?"

These people are basically harmless though. They're the obscene phone callers of the 21st century, bandwidth terrorists. You can ignore them but, they will NOT go away. I give them just enough to tweak their insanity a little. If you give them too much, give them the fight they want, they'll get to thinking that they won. They've got nothing to lose and can turn absolutely anything around in to *victory*. Ever argue with a third grader? You know what I mean.

So, 89 million fakers on Facebook. I wonder how many are Sambilly, Kevin and A770? Where do they find the time?

3 comments:

Hegel said...

If these three worked this hard in real life to convince others of how good, honest and happy they claim they are..... people would think they were extremely creepy. Not on Topix, though, where people want to be liked and part of a crowd! Oh, and do they ever count on that;)

They realize if they can get them to believe the little stuff...before long they'll believe a guy really does run a "successful business" or have a good-paying "job"....even a happy marriage...... while continuing to spend the majority of his time on Topix with his adoring family gathered 'round him, smiling lovingly. I pity the gullible on Topix, but they get what they pay for.

ex-ferrer said...

It is absolutely worth every penny! In real life, three things happen when you pretend to be several people. You get arrested for fraud. You get put in a mental hospital. Or, you win an Academy Award.

I guess Topix is easier.

Barbi said...

LOL (on the 300-pound longshoreman).
You are a Topix veteran, what with three thinking about you 24/7? Well, I can boast that I have one waving to me from various threads.
Also, you may have noticed nobody will talk to me. So, is there a Ferrerman badge of honor, and when do I earn one?
Topix IS accountable to its advertisers. I am sure the advertisers, while purchasing ad space, are not told that 100 accounts are not 100 individuals looking to buy a dress from Zulily, but a few whose asses gets chub rubbed when they actually peel them from vinyl computer chairs to go to the bathroom.
hahaha - I also noted last week that a frequent poster was outed for being a poser, complete with a grand house, stables, housekeeper and music room. Oh, she lives by a brook and is a vegan. It's like, if you can't carry on a historical romance IRL, do so on Topix!
But the weird thing is they all act she's real. And they KNOW. One of them even posted, right after the outing: "Kevin, do something!" It reminded me of "The Others," with Nicole Kidman when they all realized they were dead.