Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Funny you should ask...

Why aren't there any funny republicans?  I mean, intentionally funny republicans. Don't mention Dennis Miller as he is not funny. He phoned in the "Weekend Update" segment of Saturday Night Live, annoyed the shit out of people on Monday Night Football and, whatever day of the week he's ruining on Fox now is, I'll bet, not funny there either. I seriously cannot think of one other conservative comedian.

This side of the aisle has Jon Stewart, Steven Colbert and Bill Maher to name just three high-profile, gifted, liberal comedians. I'm linking a clip of Bill Maher here from almost one year ago that prompted this question. A conservative posted it to defend Rush Limbaugh and demanded to know why liberals were not condemning Maher for his *racist rant against Obama*.

Huh what??!! Calling the president a "black gangsta ninja" is a racist rant? In the clip, Maher is lauding the President for killing Osama Bin Laden. Watch and see and I think you'll agree that it's five funny minutes of pro-Obama, anti-republican frivolity and mirth making. Maher recently donated $1 million of his own cash to re-elect Obama so, I think it's quite clear where his political heart is. Someone else noted that he also made fun of Anthony Weiner last year. Imagine a comedian not making dick jokes. I don't think I would want to live in a world without dick jokes!

I seriously wonder what world republicans are living in these days. Are they completely humorless? Does that explain the lack of conservative comedians? They defend Limbaugh's calling Sandra Fluke a slut and a prostitute and also try to do damage control by citing misogynist things various political pundits have said about some conservative women politicians and whatever Ann Coulter is, as if the high road were closed for repairs and turnabout were constitutionally fair play. Is their life beyond the playground of sixth grade?

I love to laugh. Politics, like life,  can be cruel but, laughter gets us through that. We libs can laugh at ourselves and we do but, as long as there are republicans acting the straight man part (insert a Larry Craig joke here if you must) we will make fun. "Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke and joke 'em if they can't take a fuck" I always say.

Ladies and gentlemen, Bill Maher
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Fm5IEWotkfE

4 comments:

Hegel said...

The limited comedic potential Dennis Miller once had was overshadowed by his condescending personality. The guy was and is a pretentious prick.

That clip was excellent! The thing about Maher, Stewart and Colbert is that they're funny as hell but also consistently accurate when it comes to the facts. That bit should be played as part of the campaign.
If only he could amend it to say 'And he stopped by the Apollo to sing a little Al Green.'

Mysterious man from the Shadows said...

Well, to Republicans, Limbaugh, Beck and Coulter, among others are seen as funny. I know because I have relatives who tell me how hilarious Coulter supposedly is.

To us liberals, of course, they just seem like jerks. But then I suppose they think the same thing of our comedians.

That said, there are a few conservative people who I find kind of funny. P.J. O'Rourke has his moments.

ex-ferrer said...

Glenn Beck began his career as a stand-up comedian and then a 'morning zoo' type DJ. O'Rourke does have his moments. I just can't imagine a Daily Show as done by and for conservatives. They might think Colbert speaks for them though...

Mysterious man from the Shadows said...

That reminds me, there's also an online Conservative humor show called "NewsBusted".

From what I've seen, this show goes a long way towards confirming your hypothesis that a conservative "Daily Show" is not going to happen. I actually felt sorry for the woman who reads the "jokes" on the show.