Saturday, March 23, 2013

This Old Blog

I like the show, "Rehab Addict" on The DIY Network  (which I don't get) and HGTV, which I do get on the cable. The hostess, Nicole Curtis, is a cute little, blonde lady who has a great eye for old houses and what it takes to preserve and protect them. I'd be remiss in my duties as a Ferrerman if I didn't also mention that she has a spankable bottom. As important as that may be, it's not that important because, if you watch the aforementioned channels, so do all the other hostesses of the fix it/sell it shows. (Programming note: For you ladies, the hosts also tend to have (presumably) spankable bottoms. That's the predictability of equality in TV land).

What I like about her show is the preservation of the old houses, the keeping it real part. Why not sand and refinish that 100 year old oak floor? Does the whole world have to be tiled or carpeted? Bamboo flooring or cork is great and renewable resources and all that good stuff but, if a century of oak or maple is already there, use it- don't lose it. And if you want open concept buy it or build it. The Victorians didn't design that way. Nichole maybe be a little nutty in her ways but I think she comes by it honestly and wears it well. I also like the fact that she doesn't do her magic in three ridiculous days like the rest of the programs do. She has a budget and time-frame but, it's not three ridiculous days.

The other night I was on her Facebook page. She started a thread about greedy realtors  who take advantage of the elderly and the families of the recently deceased. That's often the way these FB pages go. You just throw something out their and see if anybody chases it. Some people jump on and tell her how cute she is. Others rave about the show. Some ask how to questions in the hopes that she has time to answer. Your Ferrerman gets all that but, the internet and it's various venues are also a place for dialogue and the exchange of thoughts and ideas. Conversation in the 21st century! How 'bout that?

Not everybody gets that or even tries. I'm used to agreeing or disagreeing with people and don't mind it when someone disagrees with me unless they're a complete dick about it. Even then, if you come by it honestly, i'm some degree of OK with it. Well, maybe...

I won't replay the whole thread but, since we were on the subject of scumbags, I mentioned I didn't care for the scumbags on another network that buy foreclosed homes at auction. These assholes take advantage of other people's misery but buy the homes hoping to flip them, spending as little as possible in the hopes of making as much as possible. OK, I get it. Buy low- SELL HIGH! This isn't speculating on storage lockers. It's big time real estate.

Well, some bitch took me slightly to task for my stance. Maybe she and her husband do that for a living? I looked at her page and saw she was a big fan of Fox news and other republican outlets. The GOP is of the opinion that the housing crisis was caused by people forcing bankers to sell them houses that they could not afford because they, must feel entitled or something because, that's the way liberals are...

People of the republican persuasion do feel that way. They have actually been taught to believe that. I think that was that poster's issue with me. Or, like I said, she might pimp houses and not like my assessment of house pimps. It could be she's just a persnickety bitch who likes to control conversations that she has no control over. A few dozen people remarking about how cute Nicole is- fine. One Ferrerman setting a conversational stone off the path- not good.

Well, a nice thread like that is not my place to be brawling .It does seem like everywhere I go these days, people want to fight about everything! This is because absolutely everything actually IS republican or democrat! Hey- you're talking to the Ferrerman that looked at the woman's FB page to determine that she was a jerkface, republican! You just got to know where and when to fight. If complimenting the very lovely thread host is staying on topic in the eyes of most readers, well, okie doakie. Mind you, I don't think Nicole is fishing for compliments. She did mention that she wasn't addressing foreclosures... I got that part- I was just- oh, never mind

 That's the three rules of real estate: location, location, location...

Those are also the three rules of blogging.

No comments: