Monday, March 25, 2013

In my imaginary life

I lost an imaginary friend the other day.

The poster known as ArtGal passed after a battle with cancer. She was a virtual acquaintance and I never met her. That's the way it goes with the internet. You get to know a lot of people that you may never meet in real life. They are still real though and that can be as awful as it can be awesome. Most people I meet on the internet make me feel sorry for them. If I were to meet some in real life, many would make me hope to remember to be well heeled. There are some truly awful people out there and they have internet to expand the horizons of their awfulness.

ArtGal was not one of those. She was mostly a joy. I love humor and she shared that love. She was one of a handful of people who I enjoyed reading so much that I never skimmed her posts. She could be very blunt dealing with obnoxious trolls or deft. I like fucking with people too 'cause that keeps them on their toes. When they're on their toes, they walk funny. It's much easier to deal with them like that.

I imagine that AG was as good looking as her avatar pictures presented her. This is to say, yes, I found her quite attractive. She was married too and a mom so, keep your dirty thoughts to yourself. I know I usually did.

That's the thing with imaginary internet people that we often forget. They do have lives and, in many cases, people who love them. We don't usually really know about these lives of theirs. We just like to think we do. I know I'm like my old co-worker, Larry Mysterioso, in that, I won't lie to folks- I just won't tell them stuff I don't think they need to know. That really keeps them on their toes...and dancing quite humorously...

ArtGal was one of several that I wish I did know, in real life. I think she would have represented well, mirroring in reality her on-line self.  A real person, here and there. I like to think so.

Goodbye, Andrea. I hope to see you on the other side someday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zI0Q8ytD44Y


2 comments:

Maggie said...

How sad. Even though we think we don't really know the onliners, I think people are brutally honest about their opinions and you can tell a lot from that. Sorry to read a good one is gone.

ex-ferrer said...

She was a republican and less crazy than most republicans. A fine sense of humor counter-acted that!

As you well know, there ARE some good folks out there in bandwidth land. We have to cherish the ones we do find.