Monday, March 4, 2013

Invasion...

I'm a big fan of the AMC series, "The Walking Dead". Until it came along in 2010, I  never much gave zombies a second thought as I have never been much into horror films or science fiction. As a post apocalyptic genre, it's pretty damn interesting though and, technically possible. I think. The right combination of chemicals could affect (effect?) the portion of people's brains that control speech and motor skills, causing millions to stagger about, incoherent. Admittedly, listening to Glenn Beck can cause the same symptoms. However, Glenn hasn't asked his fans to consume (raw!) human flesh on the hoof, so to speak yet. Yikes!  So, yes, I did read that a zombie apocalypse was possible, just not likely.

More likely is a British takeover of television. In fact- blimey- I think that has already happened! On The Walking Dead alone, at least four characters are British!. You'd never know until you see them out of character in an interview. They fooled me. Andrew Lincoln, who plays "Rick" on the show is a long time English actor. His father in law is Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull. That's not proof of his being English but it's an interesting fact. The proof is in his accent and his openly admitting that he's English.

My second suspect, Lauren Cohan, plays Maggie and might be the trickiest of all these English. She was born in America (Philadelphia) but raised in England. So she's American but...speaks with an English accent!

David Morrissey who plays "The Governor" on the show is the third trickster. I had no idea. It was an interview that gave him away. My dumbass still wasn't looking for clues after the first two Brits fooled me. I can be really slow at times. He's from Liverpool which makes him a Scouse. It's also where The Beatles are from. If he can sing I'll probably be the last to know.

Last night they brought back a great character, Morgan, who had been absent from the show since the first episode where he helped Rick after he awoke from his coma. Morgan is played by Lennie James a fine black actor whom I can't refer to as an African-American because he too is English!

Is there some actor shortage here in America? This recession has been tough but do these English actors work for food and live in dormitories, stacked up like cord wood? The Walking Dead takes place in the South. Is Michael Rooker (who plays Merle in the show) the only actual Southern actor in the show if not the world? I can vouch for his American-ness. I worked with his cousin. They hail from Alabama. ROLL TIDE!

I guess I'm not really mad. Actually, I'm impressed. That they fooled me- A Bored, Certified Ferrerman- is pretty impressive. They are pretty damn good actors.

I guess if we ever do have an apocalypse here in America, it wouldn't be too awful if we were overtaken by British actors who blended in perfectly in American life and the only way to identify them was to get them to do television interviews. That might be a good plot for "Homefront". That Damian Lewis- now there's an all-American boy...

2 comments:

Sue J said...

Hugh Laurie who plays House in the series of the same name is English; Simon Baker (The Mentalist) is an Aussie as is Tony LaPaglia who is in Lost/Missing without Trace??? - not sure of the proper title.
Toni Collette (United States of Tara) is an Aussie.
I always think of Hugh Laurie as a comic actor as I first saw him in the BBC series Blackadder. Laurie and Stephen Fry were at University together along with many other British actors - studying things other than theatre. I think most of them got into acting and comedy doing drama at Uni. Brainy as well as talented.

ex-ferrer said...

I think it's an awesome talent. With Andrew Lincoln of The Walking Dead, another actor told of talking to him on break and Lincoln mentioned his home London and the guy thought that was nice but unusual. Lincoln would stay in character for the 12+ hours. In the show he is playing a Southern sheriff and I won't go so far as to say he sounds like most folks from Georgia but, accents do vary here and, in character, he could walk among us with ease. These are good actors you mentioned too. There are so many more Schwartzeneggers and Van Damme's who can never shake their accents because they're just not that into acting. I admire the ones who are.