Saturday, December 24, 2011

I did not come here to be annoyed!

Oh, Ferrerman, where do you usually go to be annoyed?

Well, Topix, of course but that isn't important right now.

I was on The Huffington Post this morning, looking at their comedy page- TRYING TO- because as I scrolled up and down, a survey went up and down with me. You've seen these. You can make them go away by clicking on the "X". Or, you can do what they WANT you to do and take the survey. Either or, they've got you (and Ferrerman) jumping through their hoops.

I understand that advertising pays for the internet and yada-effing-yada and that because of that we have to put up with some degree of crap, like sitting through commercial before we see some videos. Ok. And MOVEON.org is HUGE on asking for donations before you see there stuff. This HuffPo thing is too much like that.

The either/or  thing pisses me off. You either take the survey or x it out. You either contribute to Moveon or x it out. Or you can opt to not go to those sites and see what they offer.

Well, that's not gonna happen and you know, they know it and Ferrerman knows it so, why do they have to fucking annoy people?

I guess that like everything else in our world today, the numbers people have to have their numbers to tell them what people are thinking. No doubt Xing out the surveys counts as a view and that means something to the numbers people and that something somehow adds up to dollars, somehow....

I think they just enjoy annoying people. They remind me of Earl, a dude I worked with in New Orleans back in the 20th century who liked to stop women on the street and compliment them on their appearance. That was his pick up technique.

I asked Earl if that had ever worked and, no, up to that point it had not but, he told me, "If it works once in 10,000 tries, it will have WORKED!"

Well, shit. He's probably a millionaire several times over in telemarketing because that kind of bullshit logic just has to be rewarded by the masses! Leastways it seems to be the common logic of all advertising once they reach the point where commercials just don't cut it anymore and they have to take hostages to move their product.

The last time I saw Earl, my girl and I were going downtown on the streetcar on St Charles avenue and Earl and his buddy were with their dates. The buddy's date was really good looking. Earl's date might have been her mother. Earl looked a little sheepish seeing Joy and I.  Could be that Earl  was trying to invent MILF's that day but he settled for a cougar.

No comments: