Friday, April 2, 2010

My First Post

I remember it well. My first post on Topix was in response to a query about white guilt and how it might or might not have factored in the then candidacy of then president-to-be, Barack Obama.

It was a nicely written paragraph about how I felt I was unencumbered by any white guilt and that I would be voting for Barack Obama based on the content of his character, NOT on the color of his skin. I printed it out but, sadly, cannot find it around here. If I could I would reprint it here. But, it wasn't that my words were so remarkable. What impressed me were the responses I got. Three people, I recall, posted back to me that, though they did not agree with me, they loved HOW I presented my opinion. I was hooked.

Wow. As a now 1 and a half year veteran of some of the nastiest threads on Topix, I am still amazed at that feedback.

It's been all downhill since. I think Topix and I peaked that day. Guess it was my, "Catcher In The Rye", my "To Kill A Mockingbird".

Now I pretty much make jokes, charm the ladies and fuck with retards. I do quite a bit of the first two and far too much of the latter.

I know I've gotten occasional positive, non-partisan feedback since but, nothing like that first day. Three people who disagreed with me were men and women enough to say so but to respect both my words and my presentation. Wow, again. They didn't have to say anything at all. I think others did make disparaging comments but, they weren't remarkable. Are they ever?

I've written a lot about the Topix world, that it's anonymity is both it blessing and it's curse. You get to say things to people that, if done IRL would get you killed sometimes. It's a place to be both bold and beautiful. There are things written that, at the time, seem so damn important, profound and/or necessary... and then you move on to the next thread. It's like real life except the conversations take place on a computer screen rather than bars, work or on a plane trip. The beauty of it is though that, you don't HAVE to be stuck talking to someone any longer than you desire. Someone else is but a mouse click away.

Well, to an extent. Is it just my imagination or is Topix just dominated by ignorant, fucking retards these days? Every thread, regardless of subject, turns out to be a combination of "us vs, them" or the continuation of someone else's ongoing feud with some other idiot. Offbeat, which is quirky by nature, could have a thread about what people might be having for lunch and, inside of a dozen posts, some idiot will surely see fit to post his idiotic thoughts on how liberals are ruining the country! It's LUNCH, asshole! SHUT THE FUCK UP AND TELL US ABOUT YOUR SALAD! JESUS!

I have "met" some truly wonderful people on the threads. Some of them I hope to one day hang out with whether it be to drink with them or to spank the daylights out of their bottoms- or both. I mean that. I think they know who they are. The thing is, that either happens or it doesn't. And it doesn't matter if it never happens. Dozens of people whom I "know" on the net have become very important to me and we've become Facebook and e-mail buddies. We may never get up close and personal, logistics and finances being what they are but, we have and will hopefully continue to have correspondence unless we drift away. It is what it is. Rather, it is what we make of it.

I'm glad I found Topix that day. I'm glad it found me. It's taken me down the dark alleys of the gun and political threads and through the streets of life with people I'd never have met otherwise, if not in print. You can take the road less traveled even if thousands of others take it as well. You make the road your own. It's life with all it's raw emotion, heartfelt sentiment, crazy uncles, dreamers, con-artists, fucking liars, jokers, killers, lovers- everyone- all wrapped up into strangers on the net.

I'll be damned- it's real life...

9 comments:

Maggie said...

I cannot remember my first post. I think it may have been in regards to a Mary Scmich column.

I fell into a portal and found Topix.

You are so right, Ferrerman. Liars, players, sincere people, smart, stupid, real and fake.

Just like the real thing.

Ha! I do like the fact that I can 'leave the room' and no one is offended.

Nice post.

ex-ferrer said...

Harumph.
I don't know where you get off reading this blog! Don't you know that NO ONE reads my blog!? Some nerve!

Well, thank you for being non-reader #1 and for reading and providing your insight even though EVERYONE who is NO ONE, knows this blog SUCKS!

THANKS AGAIN!

Roo said...

My first post was a reply to all the nasty comments I got about the letter I wrote to Ask Amy. I've been hooked since. I try to ignore some of the more annoying posters, but it's a nice little break from reality.

Anonymous said...

Well, this is your pal Selecia Jones from JAX. Love your comments about TOPIX. It used to be fun. The trolls really got out of hand and the threats escalated quickly. TOPIX should do a better job of reeling in the HATERS. I think that I may have gotten Craig Hawley kicked off for now. But he will most likely resurface in some way. What a SHIT STIRRER!!!! And STOLEN VALOR liar.

Hang in there F....It's all good.

ex-ferrer said...

Hey, Sel. Thanks. As much as we need Craig to embarrass himself, his party and those like him, he DID get old months ago. It's still fun though...

Curly said...

My 1st post was in support of Obama during the heated presidental election, way back in Aug of 2008.Thats where I first met Craig, Do I get a medal for longevity?

ex-ferrer said...

Curly, you should get the Medal of Honor, several Purple Hearts... He's a trial and maybe he'll go ON trial soon...

Unknown said...

I rarely have time for Topix these days, but time gets away from me, and dicking around on the computer is not at the top of my list lately.
That being said F-man, I do look for you, and I bookmarked this blog because frankly you're a fun guy, and if I lived in Illinois, I would take you up on that drink, I don't think my husband wants anyone spanking me but him.
-
this blog reminds me that as many crazies as there are out there, there are sane people, that haven't lost their sense of humor.
and yes, I agree, some of those Topix posters have gone off the deep end, and need to stop watching TV for a couple of weeks, and maybe pay a little more attention to their lives than they seem to.

(I heart Ferrerman)
-Annie (anneutral)

ex-ferrer said...

I heart you too, annie. And your husband can rest assured that your bottom is safe with me. Well, pretty much...

I've missed you in the threads! I hope real life gets the best of me soon and I can get busier. Very glad to hear things are going well!