Sunday, April 25, 2010

Anchors, baby

I'm glad to see Arizona getting serious about illegals. I may question their timing but I do not question their method.

If I break into your home while you are on vacation, I've committed a crime. Even if I treat your home as if it were my own and do things around the house that you've been meaning to do (but, just didn't want to do) I am still a criminal. If my wife gives birth while we are in your home, that doesn't diminish the crime. Nor does it negate it.

Illegal aliens are not immigrants. Not even "illegal immigrants". They are simply illegals.

Liberals talk about the ridiculous amount of money that it would cost to deport the millions of illegals we have here at this moment and speak instead of amnesty, and a path to citizenship. How does that rehabilitate criminals? It just sends a message to others that, America, soft on illegals, will pretty much look the other way for a while until you all get settled and then- WELCOME TO AMERICA!

Liberals are also complaining about "racial profiling". Goodness, we can't have that! Yes, we can. Arizona being a border state, is certainly home to tens of thousands of Mexican-AMERICANS who have a long and proud history of several generations as AMERICAN citizens. Surely, many of these families are as American as my Swedish, Norwegian and Irish-American relatives. I'm sure that, despite their brown skin, brown eyes and black hair, they will have no problem convincing a policeman of their citizenship. See, this is where the profiling comes in. Cops aren't looking for the brown skin. They see it- it's there- but, they are looking at what the person in that skin is doing; where they are hanging out and such. If it's a group of 20 some Mexican men hanging out around the Home Depot in Flagstaff, my guess is they are illegals. Soon a policeman will be allowed to approach the men and ask them- in English- for their identification. Within seconds, presuming their lack of English, he will have just cause to believe they are NOT American citizens. He can ask for proof of citizenship and, if they don't have it, he can arrest them and hold them for deportation. What's wrong with that? That is NOT Nazi Germany. THAT scenario rounds up ALL Mexicans (in this case) and sends them to concentration camps REGARDLESS of citizenship. This is not on the table for anyone in government.

But, such enforcement could soon become cost prohibitive as police round up illegals by the thousands to be moved through the judicial system in the process of deportation.

This is where Jan Brewer and Arizona lose me. You cannot hope to afford to deport a few hundred thousand illegals in Arizona. The illegals know this and they will more or less see it as a "cost of doing business", kinda like it was 20 years ago when I was in the restaurant business and one of our guys would get picked up, sent back to Mexico and be back on the job inside of a week.

You have to make these illegals self-deport and you do this by eliminating the reason to sneak into America. Jobs.

Enforce the laws already on the books that say it is illegal to hire illegals- fine the SHIT out of the corporations and contractors who hire them- and make these people go back home because there is NO work for them here. Force them to deport themselves, on their dime, not ours.

And I think Republican Governor, Jan Brewer and I might part ways on this as well. I'm gonna guess that a lot of republican campaign funds come from corporations and contractors etc. who might have benefited the last few decades from cheap, "immigrant" labor. They won't like being held accountable for that. They will next ask their minions to fight that, I guess because, well, don't corporate profits ALWAYS trickle down to you and me and make a strong economy? I mean- they must know what's good for us because they're rich. Right?

Illegals do not come here because America is some gigantic Utopian welfare state where all you have to do is have a baby born here and you are set for life. If it worked that way- and worked well- YOU would have already been doing it. They come here because there are jobs that pay better than they do in Mexico or Central America. It's the same with nearly ALL parts of the world. It's just a helluva lot cheaper and easier to walk here from Mexico than it is from China or Poland. Obviously, this country was built on immigration. It was built though, by people who emigrated here through proper channels and who wanted to become citizens of the United States. They were not brought here strictly as cheap labor to pad the profits of corporations by displacing American workers and lowering wages.

Enforce the laws we have about hiring illegals. Fine the corporations, factories and contractors hiring these people. Hit them where it hurts- the profits. This will encourage them to hire American citizens, pay them a living wage and get this country back on track and out of this recession. Is taking care of America and her citizens too much to ask of either party?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was in a local gym whilst this was on broadcast. Being the only caucasian woman in the room, I kept my eyes straight ahead as each and every man walked to the center post to watch and comment on the impropriety of the law. Only one of two times that I have been looked down upon with an eye of suspicion in my own country.

Maria

ex-ferrer said...

Was the other time when you first went south? (smile)

Unknown said...

well said sir!!
I agree whole-heartedly.
If those that employ the worker without a double-checked social security number are heavily fined, on a regular basis, this will no longer be a problem in this country.
and we can get back to the business of taking care of our own citizens, as it should be.
(heart)
annie

Anonymous said...

I was a wee little girl when I first came south and was transplanted. To those around me, other than the fact that I've all my teeth, I would seem no different. lol

No, I was grocery shopping a few years ago when approached by a bitty tiny German couple who wanted to know if I was Austrian. They were excited because I visually looked the part and was buying fennel.... apparently the food of Austrians? lol.... To an audience of bright smiles, I introduced myself in German. When I explained my true nationality, without a word, they turned and walked away. Clearly, they had not yet learned the concept of the melting pot.

Maria

ex-ferrer said...

Maria- were you a Von Trapp? They might have still held a grudge about papa's refusal to join the Nazi party.

ex-ferrer said...

Annie- it's the simplest solution! A few high-profile companies, some contractors in every city getting hit- they'll be a big cloud of dust heading south.