Thursday, December 18, 2014

If you see only one movie this year...

...I hope it wasn't supposed to be "The Interview" with James Franco and Seth Rogen, because that's been pulled from the theaters due to terrorist threats.

Yep. Somewhere Kirk Cameron is thinking: "Why didn't I think of that??"

The Interview is a comedy about Franco and Rogen involved in a CIA plot to kill real-life North Korean dictator, Kim Jong-un. I saw an interview with Rogen where he was asked why they opted to portray a real dictator when they really could have portrayed a fake one from a made up country. His reply was kinda along the lines of "Who are we kidding anyway?" The audience would know they meant Kim Jong-un if they called him something like "Kim Bong-doin" so, why beat around the bush? Frankly, I think they figured North Korea was so socially slow that they wouldn't see the film until it was released on Betamax so, they figured they were good to go.

They might have had something there. There was a South Korean woman on The Daily Show last week that had taught in North Korea, and she noted that the best and brightest students in the north studying computers had no knowledge of the internet.

When I first heard about the Sony hacking and how North Korea was being blamed for it, I saw it as a cheap publicity stunt. That branch of Korea can't hack anybody if their best and brightest can't even Google. These people eat bark. They don't bite. They have all they can do to survive.

I don't know who hacked Sony and I don't know who made the threats concerning the movie but, I just don't think there's a young, chubby dictator behind this.

And, I don't think the movie is a dog that needed a publicity bone. They are actually not going to show it in any theaters, anywhere. That's not your usual straight-to-video avenue when terrorist threats are involved. I can't see a financial boon to Sony bypassing theaters for pay-per-view. They seem to be really concerned about the theaters being attacked for showing this film. Yikes.

I don't go to the movies anymore. Even when I did several years ago, we'd opt for the early Saturday or Sunday showings that were bargain priced but- more importantly- not patronized by loud, obnoxious, goofy people like on weekend date nights. With the advent of big screen, HD television, Netflix, etc. as well as the turnaround in getting "to video" being quicker than the olden days, there just isn't the impetus for folks like me to rush out to the theater anymore. You don't have to threaten me!

Frankly, I'm not big on Rogen or Franco. Seth Rogen has that nervous laughter thing going on, giggling after everything he says in case you don't like it you'll know he was kidding. I find that very annoying. I had a boss like that. Franco doesn't giggle but I'm not very familiar with his work beyond that. I'm sure he's good.

I'm also sure that neither of these guys are worth killing and that no movie they could make is worth dying for. I also think "Kim Bong-doin" would have been a better name for the dictator in a fictional comedy. It might have saved a lot of trouble too...

No comments: