Sunday, June 30, 2013

Another death in Topixtown...

Well, I guess. I think this one might be real but, with the sad saga of ArtGal still in recent memory, ya gotta wonder.

The man's screen name was Skipper and he was a long time poster. I don't know if I ever posted with him or not but, he was one of the first PM's I ever received when Topix started up that seemingly good feature. I'm only going from memory here because PM's are auto-deleted after 30 days and this was a couple of years ago but, the gist of his message was that I should keep up the good work but watch myself on the politics because people would turn on me. Something like that. Very short and to the point.

Well, I already knew that! People like Dork and Missing Goldfish were telling me to "go back to being funny..." and to leave the politics- and their better, teabagging friends- alone. It was different coming from Skipper because I didn't *know* him so, he had no agenda beyond "you make me laugh/be careful". I did appreciate it then and still do. It was far more genuine, in an impersonal sort of way.

So, I did not know the man or even read him much. I certainly didn't know anything about his personal, real world life. I know I'm fine with that and I bet he would be too.

Of course I learned about his death in a thread. That's the way things work in Topixtown. I think eventually someone who actually knew him in real life, confirmed the death but, opted to not provide anymore info beyond that. This got the usual suspects in gear! Surely ol' Skip would want folks in his imaginary world scouring his real world for facts about him! Usual Suspect Bex scoured the Georgia obituaries for real world news of his passing. Isn't that special? He gets the same inquiring minds commitment in death that a Ferrerman gets in life! Well- for different reasons, of course.  I mean they liked him. But, those enquiring minds have to know...

They can't leave someone they hate alone in life. They can't leave someone they like alone, in death. Sheesh.

6 comments:

AKA Hegel said...

Bex thought it was hilarious when your name was posted over and over again for over a year, so it's not too surprising she's at the forefront of looking for the poor man's personal information.

Peace to his family and real friends.

Anonymous said...

LOL another great read from the Ferrerman perspective. Ahh the Topix Archivers, what can you say?

Anonymous said...

Your relating his PM to you rings true with my "Skipper" observations. He generally was a laid-back, "live and let live" poster in the game-y threads and some input on the 'wacky' ones that truly fit the Offbeat motif. Along the way now and then, he'd relate some of his "life and times" and insights as appropriate.

Congenial and sociable to about everybody in much the same manner, but would appropriately "bark" at harasser posters mucking up a game and such.

Deer Whisperer/Luke

Anonymous said...

Hi Ferrerman. Thank you for this posting. I was wondering where you went! So true about the Skipper. At least three made no secret about searching for inf. Then Tender Tink came up and asked for some personal inf. to help. (You know Tink was good at research.) Emediantly she was accosted by the Laura Beths and Ola's as to why would she need proof (???) that Skipper died??? Then the Ola admonished her to not post any obituary information so the "trolls" would not attack the family. REALLY!??? While three days before as you said, Bex and Clem were seeking just that information. On a lighter note, Am delighted to see you posting Somewhere on line...For a day I was worried you were the Skipper. (Real Tears)
Now someone has posted the names of the 19 firefighters who died in AZ. I wonder if that poster will get an admonishment too from Just_Ola and the anti troll , trolls?
LOL. Miss you friend. You were always sweet and kind to me. But glad you escaped. Hugs

ex-ferrer said...

I am alive and well! I think Topix and I broke up and it's "he said/she said" as to who broke up with who. Or is it whom? Regatdless, Topix pulled a ton of my posts and they won't allow anyone to link my blog anymore. They seem upset, But- surprisingly- more people than EVER are posting there so Topix is doing better than ever and the new posters really know how to make Topix feel yummy....in those special places...
that Ferrerman had NO CLUE ABOUT!!!! So, we are neverever, getting back together!

That was sad all the way around with Skipper and how various people reacted. My bottom line was, if Skipper and his family had wanted to share the info with Topix posters they would have. Imaginary people have a right to mourn- and they should- but the man had a real family and world that had 99.9% of his attention. It's his call to hold that line.

Stay in touch! I'll be here! :)

ex-badcat said...

There were a few idiots who tried to disrupt a memorial thread in his honor. Whether one likes the guy or not, it was absolutely gutless to try to profane his memorail thread.