Monday, August 30, 2010

What the????

Last week former GOP chairman, Ken Mehlmen, announced that he is gay. I recall a time when such a thing was a shocker. Hopefully, someday we can all enjoy a time when such a thing isn't necessary or newsworthy.

But, right now it is newsworthy and kind of a shocker because the guy was one of those republicans leading the party against gay marriage or any other gay rights, all while- I'm gonna guess- sucking men's dicks.... That's a little incongruous. A tad disingenuous at the very least.

Just like Homer Simpson prefers his homosexuals "flaming", I prefer *mine* to be compassionate. (Ferrerman note: I don't actually *have* any homosexuals. You, uh, haven't heard anything, have you?)

So, I wasn't shocked by Mehlmen's admission. I've *busted* at least three people in the threads who I had no idea were gay because there posts and attitudes were so fucking far right on guns, politics, smoking etc that, well, I just couldn't imagine them being compassionate about anything. And by "busting" I don't mean I outed them in any way. Their sexuality is not my business (beyond this post) nor is it the business of other posters. Two of the three, were passionately working to take away the rights of others on one thread and then found defending gay rights on another. And on the "gay" threads i pointed this out to them. If there were a blush icon on the 'net, these two would be crimson.

Of all the groups of people on this earth, who is more persecuted right now than gays? Though every culture has then, every culture also hates them. They can hide in the closet like Ken Mehlmen did but, how many come out in public against their *own people* like Mehlmen did (while party chairman)? But worse, how many other gays are out there (but not being out) and raging against immigrants, Muslims, liberals etc, spewing hate for others?

Maybe it's the convenience of the smokescreen of party of hate? It disgusts me. If you've ever been persecuted by anyone for anything, shouldn't your eyes be opened to the plight of others? And not only your eyes but your mind? You walked in your shoes and now you want to criticize the footwear of others?

2 comments:

Curly said...

excellent as always Ferrerman! I still think you would make a great politician..... to bad the ones we have dont think like you do!

and you always find an angle that makes me laugh....just what I needed today! Thanks!

ex-ferrer said...

Thanks, Curly. It just irks me that people can be so pig-headed about a myriad of issues learning nothing from their own plight.