Friday, November 25, 2016

An open mind is a terrible thing to waste

Saw a good tweet via Facebook on Thanksgiving.

"Are racist people like: 'Ugh- my open-minded uncle is going to be at Thanksgiving this year!'"

That's not a holiday dilemma in my family as we are all an open-minded, free-thinking bunch. I've got some cousins that are kinda iffy politically but, that's the way it goes with extended family. And we don't get together with them at holidays as those tend to be more immediate family anyway.

I LOL'ed at the tweet because it reminded me so much of Topix. The internet is the venue these days and Topix and a gazillion other sites are where you definitely will get eyerolled and trolled just because you have an active, open mind.

Recently a sort of democrat on the Chicago Dregs thread asked me why I still post there when clearly I clash with even him and the other three assholes that post there. Ferrer question, I guess. Just odd that it came from the alleged democrat. He was appealing for civility. He had bonded with the other assholes over shared racist views and thought I should do the same- or leave.

Well, he's not wise in the ways of Ferrerman, that's for sure.

That particular thread- as dedicated non-readers will recall- was kinda a home thread to me as it was where I first posted. At that time at least, there were some open minds in attendance. Those and others went away years ago when the fake therapist ruined the thread. *She* is back, BTW, posting as CrunchyBacon, a now male, six-figure earning, software something or other that lives in the exclusive state of Florida and kayaks more than anyone should. Oh- and stalker of Ferrerman- still. Not a very fleshed-out character. Are any of them, I ask rhetorically? The other two posters are "Sublime1" and "race" to go along with the above mentioned, "Go Blue". That's it. However the latter three are actual individual people at least.

These days they get together and post mostly racial shit, stuff that you'd find on Breitbart or World Nut Daily. If I'm a "social justice warrior", these fucks are definitely "social injustice warriors". They were trumpy before trumpy was cool. Not that trumpy is cool. (It's not) And they vehemently condemn Ferrerman for every single liberal thing I say. I am the open-minded uncle they despise. And fear.

Here's the thing about politics. It's essentially about right and wrong. Not just knowing the difference. Acting on it. And that would be acting on the right things in a positive way. These jagoffs probably sorta know right from wrong but, I promise you, they do not care. And, I'm not so sure they appreciate Ferrerman pointing out that they are very wrong about what is right and wrong...

Isn't it odd to see that the voices of tolerance and compassion for all people are met with vitriol and threats on the internet? If Jesus were to return and start posting his gospel on the 'net, the above mentioned Social Injustice Warriors would harass and hound him day in and day out. So would thousands of others. They'd troll the shit outa Jesus!

Now, I'm not portraying myself as Christ-like or even Christian but, the man had some pretty good ideas. So does Ferrerman. So do so many people out there who are so callously met with vulgarities and vitriol, simply for understanding life and the human condition and daring to care about the world... 

One of the best things we as humans can do in life is not hurt anybody. For a lot of people that idea is simply not cost-effective. These people think they are higher up on the food chain than they actually are and thus, insulated from anything Trump might do. Odd but, they were convinced Hillary Clinton would and could hurt them directly just as they imagine Obama did. They believe Trump can't and won't for some reason. It boggles the mind but, these are not deep thinkers. They are cowards, shaking in their shoes that people might be nice and kind and thoughtful about others instead of fearing them, as if the economy and life itself depended upon it. I would imagine that their holiday table is at least one chair shy of the number of guests and, while they walk about the table as the music plays, they want to make sure they have a seat when the music stops. "More for me!" they cry. But, it really isn't more for them. It's just less for someone else. Cold comfort warms them.


No comments: