Saturday, May 16, 2015

Viewing Habits

Some of my television viewing is a direct result of hanging with the wrong crowd. For instance, if I had not been friends with Timmy Toadstools (not his real name) I would have never seen "Keeping Up With The Kardashians". But, one day I went over to Tim's to play Tiger Woods Golf and he had that show on. I asked who those people were and why they had a show. He said their dad had defended OJ Simpson and that's why they were famous. I thought that was pretty thin. He added that the mom was now married to Bruce Jenner. Well, gee, now you're talking! Bruce was famous at the time for being a formerly famous Olympian. That was about it. Not much to be famous for but the girls on the show had big boobs and asses and there had to be better reason than those assets to give them a show. The rest, as they say, is history. That sixty seconds or so is all I've ever seen of the show. Anything I know about it is unavoidable internet and TV stuff that is always there because those people have agents. They are still famous for just for being famous.

This came to mind because I read that American Idol is in its last season. That's another show that I could have gone my entire life without seeing, if not for hanging with a bad crowd. Once, on a road trip to Alabama, I had to room with Frank Vaginalicker (not his real name) and Frank was a big fan of American Idol. So, it was on by default because I didn't care and Frank really, really did. They were doing auditions in Alabama at the time, or at least showing them so, it was the portion where they embarrass people who might be delusional enough to think they can win. I think the idea is for folks to have someone they can laugh at so they might not cry about their own lives. So, there is a purpose.

So, if not for that blip on my radar, I could have tied a record set by many millions who never saw the show. I don't count clips seen elsewhere. You can't avoid that. Those agents and public relations people won't let you. I'm talking about never once sitting down and watching either of the above shows on purpose. There are some shows you just know you are not interested in whether it's the lives of people who have no business being famous or the train wreck of people believing they can sing. Lot's of famous singers can't really sing very well but they can be marketed. There's not many people more famous than Mick Jagger (to name just one) and he sings but, he's not really a singer now, is he?

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I've never seen Mad Men. Maybe I'll give it a look this weekend. I've heard good things. Anybody know when it's on?

2 comments:

Topix@wikileaks said...

You can stream them all via Netflixs cheapest plan. I think your going to want to spank Joan real bad.

ex-ferrer said...

How do you know I haven't? Well, I looked her up on IMBD. I haven't.
It's probably a good show and I'm sure I would have enjoyed the 60's references and all. I did look at it flipping channels a couple years back and a lady wearing the scampi linguine of the time caught my eye. Then the next scene was a guy making out with a bellboy. I changed the channel. Judging by Facebook, it seemed like a woman's show. I hope that didn't make me sound sexist like Don Draper.