Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Anti-Social Media: Ashley Judd Edition

Now, Ashley Judd is having Twitter trouble!

She's a University of Kentucky fan and, with them rolling into the NCAA's March Madness as (I think) the number 1 seed, she should be hated just for that, some believe. But, recently when UK vs'ed Arkansas, she opined on Twitter that perhaps Arkansas was "playing dirty". A spirited discussion followed and several tweets claimed that she was a dumb, fucking cunt that needed to be killed or raped, words to that literal effect.

That seems to be sports talk these days. Evidently people learned nothing from the Curt Schilling tweets of two weeks ago.

still don't tweet so I read about these things on Facebook. I believe Ashley's troubles were more honest than Schilling's. This did not strike me as her wanting to get attention. She's already a famous movie star and she has dabbled in politics but, I don't think she's at all into baiting trolls for political gain. I think that, like a lot of fans, she thought the other team got away with playing rough. Sports fans of either team can look at the same game and be absolutely certain the refs or the announcer favor the other team. This happens all the time. Everyone in the world hates Joe Buck, for example. I don't like him either but, I don't like him because I think he's an annoying announcer, not because I think he hates the Cubs or the Bears. Fans in Green Bay think he hates the Packers. I bet there are Cardinal fans who think he's anti-them and he grew up in St. Louis as daddy Buck was a Card's announcer. That's sports! Sports has always been where politics is right now. It's excessively partisan and vulgarly so. Just like it's not enough to root for your party, you have to root against the other party, all the time.

So, Ashley tweets a simple observation on a game and, all nasty hell breaks loose.

That's social media! It doesn't matter what the forum or the subject is, if you disagree with someone you too might be a dumb cunt, deserving of death and/or rape. As it turns out, this getting-trolled shit doesn't just happen to Ferrerman. Who knew????

Well, me. There's a lot of ugly people out there. Not all of them have anti-Ferrerman sentiment. They hate others too and for *crimes* as innocuous as anything I've ever done on the 'net. Yeah, like thinking the Arkansas men's basketball team plays dirty. You wouldn't kill for that. You wouldn't even joke about that. You would not call somebody a c-word for that. But, untold thousands of people would and they are doing it somewhere, right now.

It's simple: People are mean. There are more of them. Social media makes it very easy to be mean and anonymous. And, of course, people are assholes too.

If the mark of character is what you do when no one is watching, on the internet it can be how you treat people when no one knows who you are. If you walk away from your computer or phone, beaming at yourself for having called a famous actress a cunt, you might need to walk away for good. You're not really doing it right. You may not be better than that but others are.

Personally, I think Ashley Judd deserves a moderate to severe spanking just on general principles. But, that's just me being Ferrereman. It's not based on her musings about a basketball game or really anything else beyond her well-preserved spankability. It's nothing to tweet about, I guess, if I tweeted that is. But, it is worth mentioning because somebody has to do something to counteract the nastiness and negativity of Anti-Social Media. A Ferrer can only do so much....

1 comment:

ex-ferrer said...

Commenting on sports can be particularly brutal! When the Chicago Tribune had it's share of Topix, years ago, some of the Cubs/Sox threads made the political ones look like a love fest. My contribution was to say: "I have Sox fans in my family. Please don't tell anyone..."