Sunday, July 13, 2014

First, do no harm.

I watched a nice piece of video by Lawrence O'Donnell from his show "The Last Word", from the night he returned after recuperating from a car accident in the Virgin Islands. It was about 18 minutes long and he covered a lot more ground than I will cover here so, I'm too lazy to link it. No real need. You may like to google it though.

One of the things he talked about was the respect he had for the nurses who had been such a huge help to his recovery. He spoke about their dedication to helping people and saving lives and how, aside from making a living doing what they love, they wanted nothing beyond a "thank you" for doing just that. It's just what they do. They save lives. They do it without demanding everyone bow and scrape before them.

It got me to thinking how awesome that was. On any given night, anywhere in the world, untold numbers of nurses (and doctors, of course) are going about the business of saving human lives. That is cool. I mean- what do you do? Not to pick on you but, I bet you're like me and rarely, if ever, save lives. It's not that you or I suck. It's just that, as far as life =-saving goes, the best we can do is not kill people. That's a good thing but, in life's ledger, you're not adding, you're just not subtracting.

While I watched Lawrence talk about that, I thought of how useless politicians are. On the humanity scale they shouldn't even be on the same chart with nurses. If ever you start to feeling like your life is stagnate, wasted or lamentable, think about John Boehner. He is the Speaker Of The House and a career politician. He is in a position to actually DO good for an entire country, and the fuckwad chooses instead to sue the President Of The United States! You could be that useless fuck! Yeah, I know- he makes millions each year doing the bidding of the shareholders of America while he shirks his responsibility to the citizens who elected him. If that is your idea of success, you are no better than him. If it's not, you are!

Don't you feel better already? I know I do!

2 comments:

Maggie said...

He just angers me so that I can't think straight!!!!!

Nurses are good.

ex-ferrer said...

Washington is full of Boehners. That's what is wrong with it. He knows right from wrong (I think...) but willfully takes the money. He has no regard for his country nor his legacy.