Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Posting For Dollars

I think I'm heading up on four months now since my last Ferrerman post. Maybe it's four years? I don't know. Who pays attention to such things?

Anyways, I looked at Topix and I see that this is the last week for the points game. It was an interesting game in that there was no real prize. I use Adblock so, unless I open in another browser, I don't see the results of the game or a scoreboard. I never actually played the game and sought points because there was nothing to be gained. I quit when Hegel discovered the way to opt out. I had thought I was stuck with it.

I just looked at the scoreboard and an old tippler who goes by "TallyHo" is the reigning champ...tied with seven others(!?). That's how soft this nation has become! EIGHT *WINNERS*???  That's out of ten posters- not people, mind you. This is Topix. Tally might be all of those eight posters. Maybe the second and third place posters too.

Someone, I reckon, will be crowned ultimate posting champ next week. They won't get anything for it though. Just the pride associated with posting more than any other registered poster...on the Offbeat Forum, that is. Other Forums have their own champs. Some, like the Chicago Forum, don't even have to bother with the game as there's hardly anyone there to play. The Main or "Topix" Forum is like that. There's maybe 90 some people viewing on average. Most of them are moderators.

I'm kidding! Only 6 or 7 are mods. The rest are Kevin.

Kidding again! But, not by much. I don't get why they are killing the game. Aside from Kevin and A770 characters posting, the game would seem to be the only thing keeping Topix afloat, on a forum by forum basis. People click on threads and get points. Some such nonsense. Topix then uses those clicks to show advertisers how popular Topix is. Truckloads of money are then delivered. Something like that. Topix is a volume business and they have more forums, all over the world, than I care to count. So, they do OK. Maybe they're just giving up on Offbeat and the Main as hopeless basket cases?

Topix is primarily a troll-based economy, to coin a phrase I've already coined, and Offbeat and the Main are prime examples of that. The business plan seemed to be; organize a gang in each Forum and have them harass posters for fun and profit. Start fights and get people to post. When not fighting, say hello to everyone. You know how in baseball when a guy pops up the announcer says, "It looks like a line drive in the boxscore?" Exactly.  Well, that's what it seemed like. A770 had a new gang on the Topix Forum  and, with a prolific poster like Kevin leading her crew, she just had to phone it in, occasionally showing up as some version of "Sue". Talk it up out there, guys! Let's hear some chatter! GO TEAM!

On Offbeat, I am not quite certain who the head troll is. Whoever formed the Clique, I guess. Offbeat seems more overloaded with trolls than any other forum. I think a few of these trolls might be professional.

Wait. Professional? Let's just say they "get paid for it".  They may be a pimp's bottom bitch but, that doesn't make them professional.

A couple months ago, I noticed a poster credited another poster for a thread that had wound up with a lot of posts on it. I hadn't viewed that poster as a factor on that particular thread at all. This particular asshole doesn't bring a lot to the table about anything, really. Most of his posts are masturbatory exercises in self aggrandizement. And weather. So, I checked and noticed that he had posed the question that headlined the thread. That takes some talent....

It just struck me as water-cooler, office fluffing. It was really unnecessary. It wasn't like the guy had actually done anything...

Maybe that's how it works in a troll based economy? Paid political posters or those that promote products don't make much. They say don't quit your day job. Facebook pays 3rd world folks $1 an hour(!!) to review complaints. Topix may double that for mods....It would still be too much.

But, what might they pay for someone to manage a group of miscreant posters, to promote posting on a thread?

Not too much, I hope, if merely posting first on a thread that you posed a generic question on gets you a pat on the back. I think that that idiot, Sam started 3,687 threads about Ferrerman and two of them got as many as 50 posts. That asshole is not posting for dollars- he's just a meth head. I am certainly not implying that Topix pays him anything or that anyone should.

There's just some people that, when they quit posting I always wondered if they didn't get promoted,  transferred to another forum or fired. Well, that's troll biz, I guess.

10 comments:

Hegel said...

I think Topix used the game to get clicks for advertisers. There's no other reason for it. The prize of wearing a crown and getting a colorful frame around your avi just weren't that appealing to me. Also, once I opted out and got Adblocker Topix ran much more smoothly.

That being said, Kevin put out an official statement regarding my opting out, saying that I quit the game so I didn't have to see him propping me with his socks that were clones or spoofs of my account. He was certain it upset me quite a bit, the poor little guy... WINNING!!!

Yep, the team (or herd) mentality has always been in place on different forums and ironically, you see a lot of the same people from those little groups in more than one place.... Coincidence? LOL

Hasn't been working so well lately though, has it?
:)

ex-ferrer said...

No, it hasn't! :)

Good point about Topix running more smoothly, sans game. I have read a lot of complaints about Topix use that I wasn't having. It seemed to go beyond individuals browser issues. The game would seem to be the common denominator.

Anonymous said...

I just had a very innocent post pulled. It was a post to Chilli J thanking him for a link he posted. That's ALL it was, a thank you. The link was a piece that trashed the Tea Party. His post and link are still there, mine is not. Topix is too political. It takes too much time appeasing their top poster's complaints and abuse reports while allowing disrespectful posts by assholes like Dragoon to remain. His Tampax comment earlier today was very disrespectful to woman. I can't believe that tard is even married. That post still remains but that's OK, it served a purpose to insult a hated Topix guy like myself that always shows up retards like Dragoon. The head posters (I don't mean BJ's) like this Kevin guy you laugh at have too much pull. Speaking of THAT asshole where has he been? Lurking?

ex-ferrer said...

There's no method to the Topix madness beyond revenge, I guess. They are way too quick to react to gang-reporting without bothering to consider the context of the post in question. It's that sort of attitude that leads to games where THERE IS NO ACTUAL GOAL OR PRIZE. It's a glimpse of the small government that teabaggerz envision- a nation of rats reporting people.

Barbi said...

I'm devastated. As I type this, I am framed in a glorious blue - my best color. And I had to go through those ghastly shades of green and orange to get there. Oh well, since I pulled the needle from my vein, it hardly matters.
Still, if I return, I want to be pretty!
Back to your post, Ferrerman, I think it's the number of accounts that Topix ad reps sell to the advertisers, as well.
It says clearly in the TOS that you may cancel your account at any time but NEVER make it go away because Topix owns your account. So, if "Barbi" decides to stay away, Topix gets to keep me and USE me.

So, my guess is Topix ad reps use the number of accounts to sell ads, and that's why we have "socks," which ultimately led to the ending of the game. Has anybody noticed there was a mass banning of socks about a month or so ago? There was certainly enough crying about it. Of course, it was my fault (it's always Barbi) but the reality is I never reported the annoyances. I think Topix figured out that the incessant posting of inanities by socks with names like "Sissy Pissedherpants" were disrupting the flow of dialogue. After all, real folks had to wade through threads with titles like, "Who is Hotter" to get to the dull discussions - like about books and recipes...even the President.

Also, the true Topix trolls (spot them by their number of posts) would use their sock accounts to be nasty and then the sock account, but not their primary (and sacred) account, would be banned.

Remember the demise of Persephone's "Baby Legs?" My Lord, you'd think someone had died, the way she carried on. I always thought that was a sort of creepy name anyway. But now I am regressing. I think the end result will offer a more peaceful forum?

Barbi said...

To anonymous - I was attacked by a troll by the name of Figarooo, who I've always ignored. But this time, I responded to it and called it a 12-year-old. The post was pulled. No big deal, since the troll posts at about fourth-grade level. Unless she's loaning out her account for her pals to use.
So yes, there's rarely a rhyme or a reason.

Anonymous said...

byline: Deer Whisperer/Luke

Well, it must have gotten too *peaceful* [disregarding political stuff] on Offbeat. There is a new obligatory "Who on Offbeat you don't like, and why?" or similar phrasing.

The number of posts must have diminished too much for topix's liking and as a result encouraged such thread(s) for a post count boost.

Hey Barbi; Hegel ... what's shakin'?!

Anonymous said...

No one misses you. Insulting Junket and Emma?

Very low class.

ex-ferrer said...

Anonymous- no one mentioned Junkett or Emma but you. What are you trying to tell us?

The greatest IT guy in Hooterville said...

@ Hegel He used to say the same about the posts as soon as someone else figured out how to post mor than him.