Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Mind if I don't actually smoke?

I read about E-cigarettes this morning. They may or may not be bad for you- get this- depending upon who you believe! Ain't that life these days? It is all in what you believe.

It's always been this way with coffee, for example. One week a survey will say that coffee (the elixir of the Gods and Ferrerman) is *good* for you. The next it will say that coffee is *bad*. Though caffeine is a stimulant, evidently, studying caffeine is an exercise in manic depression.

I just go along, enjoying coffee the same regardless of what they say.

Who are they? Politicians? Pundits? Those theys are one and the same. Those lines got blurred years ago. Is there a difference between Glenn Beck and any Congressman? Politics is all about selling selling something to someone and Glenn Beck will try to sell snow to Eskimos if someone will pay him to do that. I mention him because on Facebook I saw a clip of his show from June of this year, where he shows a clip of a rebel leader in Syria cutting out the heart of a rival soldier and eating it...

Well, you won't see Brian Williams show that on his program. I'm not even sure if back in June Brian even mentioned that guy doing that. The cannibal in question is someone that we would be giving guns and power to and Glenn's bit went on to show Russia's Vladimir Putin apparently asking (in Russian) if that was the sort of guy we wanted to give guns and power to. Very good question.

The answer probably is "yes". A better question might be, why is Glenn Beck siding with Putin? I don't fucking know. He started whining about progressive democrats AND republicans and why they would give guns to that guy and take them away from YOU....so, I guess that was the point of that. I really think he just goes up there and wings it. He's a failed stand up comic and I think he falls  back on that and just riffs to see who is paying attention rather than laughing. It's not about what he says, it's all in how he says it that reels certain people in and keeps them coming back.

I'm not well versed in the Syria situation. I know it's a ...syriass...situation but my take on it is we're going to do whatever we do based on money rather than morals or any sort of humanity. Duh! Gassing people is awful but, awful shit happens all over the world ever day. It's just more urgent when it happens on ground that has oil under it. Sorry, Africa.

So, are e-cigs as bad as regular cigarettes? We will probably never know because, like everything else in the world today, it's  a matter of opinion. The e-cigs are essentially cigarettes without smoke. There's a vapor instead of smoke and a thing that you fake-smoke it out of that looks like a cigarette...and that's probably the problem. It's likely safe as all get out but- BUT- the government or somebody in authority thinks it might promote smoking real cigarettes so, a study has to be commissioned that finds e-cigs to be just fucking awful. It's like battling obesity. Any fucking billionaire moron knows that you have to ban large sodas to eliminate obesity. Again- DUH!

Frankly, I think they are just looking for a way to tax the bejesus out of e-cigs like they do the real ones. That's a money-maker and that is what makes the world go around. You heard it here first.

11 comments:

Maggie said...

I know several people who use the E-cig. It doesn't satisfy their craving for the real thing, so they still smoke. The only good thing about the E-cig is that non-smokers don't have to smell the smoke. I've never seen anyone use it in public places,though. Wonder if that is verboten.

ex-ferrer said...

That's the thing- *they* are trying to make it verboten. Any of *them* that don't approve of smoking anything, anytime, anywhere under any circumstances will likely disapprove.
I don't want to influence anyone here but, I have heard that Syrians smoke....

Uh oh....

Barbi said...

Maggie is correct. I heard the same thing from an oncologist.

Best way to go is use the gum or patch for infusion of nicotine into your system which staves off at least some of the craving and then withdraw from that.

I don't know what you do about the oral addiction, but I'll bet we can get an answer to that on Topix since of late that seems to be least "boring" of the topics. Next to stalking of course!

Anonymous said...

I was lead to believe coffee has many a fine anti oxidants in it that far outweigh any negative caffeine affects.

ex-ferrer said...

I don't know how anybody could be anti-oxidants but, someone surely is, somewhere! It's crazy...

Maybe I was the PT? said...

Just man up and quit already. Adult pacifier in my book.

Smoke to your hearts content in your own home until you get the fortitude to stop. E-cigs are just ridiculous.

BTW I used to smoke a pack a day.

ex-ferrer said...

BTW, it wasn't about me quitting or not. Man up your reading comprehension skills.

I am the PT said...

Last I heard was that Putin was threatening to invade Saudi Arabia if the US invades Syria. I have no illusions that the freedom fighters, or what ever the hell else they call themselves, isn't going to turn out to be tomorrows extremest. When you pull one string in the mid-east the whole the hang thing snags. Economics is king - ask Clinton, ask the Rwandans.

About smokeless cigs? if they can tax them they will. And if you light up with them in a restaurant, the staff will still act as if you lit up a real one. More time spent explaining then smoking. Not relaxing

Barbi is correct - when one does stop, chose the patch. It's what I did. Highly preferable to the gum, which tasted more like chewing on an ashtray; though I've since heard they've improved.

ex-ferrer said...

We have a history of supplying guns and aid to folks we wind up fighting later. War is a business. I think that's why we do this. It's either we're savvy businessmen or really fucking stupid. But, I've heard we invented the VietCong and we definitely supported the Taliban and Saddam. Even in smaller feuds, why not supply both sides, particularly to keep one side in the fight longer?

When I saw the video of the guy going cannibal- well, maybe he's the pick of the litter. We can always arrange an accident for him when we're done.

Anonymous said...

I tried a million times to quit. Then I got cancer and suddenly, it became easy. Who knew?

Haven't had a cigarette in nearly 5 years now. Cancer was the best quitting method I ever tried.

Anonymous said...

Oh, and as for the whole war thing, let's leave that to the war experts...like Kevin and Cooterboob.