Monday, July 8, 2013

Heaven Knows, Mr. Ferrerman

Naked And Afraid. I tuned in thinking it would be the story of my freshman year gym class but, I was way wrong! It's actually about two people, a man  and a woman, dropped off in an exotic but dangerous locale with nothing but a camera crew. And by nothing I mean, they are buck naked! 

Last night's episode took place on a deserted island in The Maldives (I think) which is somewhere in Google and looks exotic but seems south of Hell as far as sun and heat goes.

The guy was a tall, strapping ex-Marine (Force Recon/sniper) who had been on missions all over the world. You think this would be a day at the beach for a guy with that sort of resume. But, you'd be wrong because the USMC never sent this fair-skinned fella out naked and without sunscreen. This poor man practically caught fire in the first hour. If you've ever had sunburn...his was far worse.

The young lady was a surfer girl, technically from Hawaii but, described as a sort of citizen of the world as she had never been in school and had literally lived in Google land. Her parents were rich hippies, I suspect. She was cute and effervescent and, well, I'd be remiss in my Ferrerman duties if I didn't mention that she had a spankable bottom. The curious thing was that, though she had lived all over the world in her 27 years, she was concerned about the nudity aspect of the experience, particularly hers. She said her nickname was "The Nun" because she was rather reserved and conservative. This just struck me as odd as most of the rest of the world seems to be more at ease with nudity than Americans. There is a saying: "You may be American in the kitchen but, European in the bathroom."  Consider that.

Well, nudity is the premise of every episode so, no surprises there, and I think people get used to it pretty quick when they realize that finding food and water and not getting eaten by lions over the next 21 days takes priority over boners and blushing. I think they are three episodes in and the issue of unrequited boners hasn't been discussed and that's pretty much because- I believe- that these people are seriously exhausted by the elements.

Like I said, there's a camera crew involved, I think for every minute of the twenty one days (yikes!) of this experience but, it is cable TV  and they tend to take a lot of license, artistic or not. The camera crew is not naked and afraid and probably not looking for food and water. Unions, ya know They've made us soft! But, that aside, they are there to observe and not get involved, just like you with your  camera phone when someone is getting the shit kicked out of them. Just film it and put it on Youtube.

Well, internet searches have told me that there is some off-camera coddling of these people in the form of water and nourishment- maybe even IV's to keep them alive- just like on "Survivor" and, I would hope so. We are probably one teapublican president away from televised executions and celebrities hunting the homeless for sport and I'd like to enjoy the milk of human kindness as long as I can, while we still can before it completely curdles.

Damn. I just thought of one of my favorite, old-time movies- "Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison"! Robert Mitchum played a shipwrecked Marine and Deborah Kerr, a similarly displaced nun. They weren't naked (it was filmed in 1957 before nudity was discovered in Hollywood) and the scene was 1944 and WWII so, the Japanese who invaded the island provided the fear factor while Mitchum and Kerr danced around romance. Her character was an actual nun, ya know. I just wonder if the producers had that fine film in mind when they set this one up. It's a good film, check it out on Netflix!

The Marine in this one was laid up due to his sunburn and was, at first, resentful of the surfer girl who was providing 100% of their nutrition and hats made from leaves. It was like when you were first married and your bride only knew how to make one dish- COCONUTS!? AGAIN?!! Well, ya know, if you don't like coconuts (and I know I don't) fucking get up and find something else to eat!

So they weren't getting along. He bitched and she questioned his survival skills. Me too. When he got well enough to do something besides whine, he decided to dig for drinking water. That took a couple of days until he struck water. Sorta, water. It didn't look close to being potable. I've watched a few survival shows and when in doubt, please boil your water first because even clear water from mountain streams likely has millions of nasty microbes in it that will make you very sick and can kill you. The woman refused to drink it. He did.

He was lucky to escape with bad diarrhea. And she was unlucky that he didn't escape too far because he pooped about ten feet from their hut and she stepped in it. He knew better- the Marines teach pooping skills- but, when you gotta go, ya gotta go...

Editing of the promos had made it look like these two weren't gonna make it. But, he bucked up, swallowed his pride and realized that this little lady was taking care of him and was the reason they both were surviving. For x-number of days she really did carry him. Eventually he got better and helped out and they got to know each other better. He wised up and respected her and she realized that, though he was a Mr. Man, he just didn't have the skills to survive like she did. How incongruous! Temperament has a lot to do with performance in these situations and, so far, the female participants seem to be more team orientated and nurturing than the dudes.

I'm sure that will change. There are some insane bitches out there- as a trained, experienced Ferrerman, I know that. There's no cash prize for this program so, I think most of them opt to go on the "Big Brother" show. People do this because they want to test  themselves. It doesn't get much more extreme than naked, with a stranger, for 21 days. Look for it on the Discovery Channel, check your local listings.

20 comments:

AKA Hegel said...

I think she should have rubbed his sunburned nose in his own poop. For the love of God....EVERYONE knows you boil any water of questionable quality or origin. Sheesh.

When I tuned in she was killing the eel and feeling bad about it. Where did they get the clothing or whatever it was that was barely covering them?

ex-ferrer said...

I missed the explanation of the clothing but, I think it was stuff that washed up from nearby islands. We're not the only folks who use our waterways for dumping. I think that's where they got the (empty) water bottles too. I believe they started off with a hatchet, a flint and the satchels that those item came with.

They didn't have a container to boil water in so, I guess coconut juice was the best they could do.

Barbi said...

Nice post, Ferrerman!

I'll check it out. The new "Catfish" is kind of boring. Once you've seen it...besides, I see enough of that on Topix.

Nudity in the wild? Yeah, right. Even ancient civilizations wrapped the goods up in leaves or something to protect themselves so they can continue to reproduce. When you're climbing a tree or trying to spear a fish, you don't want to scrape, twist or poke your own genitals, do you?

Let me guess: They're both really good looking? And they're in tact at the end of the episode.

ex-ferrer said...

Good looks are relative but, they are all in really good shape. It's 21 days in the wild with a dramatic change in diet. On the wrap up of each episode they note how each person's skills improved and how much weight they lost. It's pretty grueling and just take a walk in the woods near you with your bare feet and you begin to see how hard it must be. And then naughty bits?

There's another show where two survival guys go into various climates to teach people how to survive. They only do it for three days. The one guy hasn't worn shoes in twenty years. That's just stupid. He wouldn't last 5 minutes in 7/11

Anonymous said...

byline: Deer Whisperer/Luke

Did they get around to slathering themselves in mud for protection from sun and bugs?

Days ago, I had seen a Yahoo! 'sneak preview' item about some 'survive in the wild' show with a photo of two mud-covered (1 guy, 1 gal) participants.

What you are watching must be that.

ex-ferrer said...

Same show, different locale. The mud people were in Africa, I think. I didn't see that whole episode but they were different in that they had three weeks to get from point A to b. The folks last night just had to survive. Three weeks of that seems insane! I think Survivor takes 39 days but they may get to have a picnic at some point. Much more civilized.

Anonymous said...

Hi Ferr!
I'm not a big fan of reality shows that are like 'Survivor'....however...."Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison"---one of my favorites, too. Love Robert Mitchum. Coolest guy in Hollywood in his time. Check out some of his best quotes.
http://m.imdb.com/name/nm0000053/quotes
Have a good day.

ex-ferrer said...

Those are great quotes! I always liked Mitchum. I remember around high school, some older guy boasted about being locked up with him in a Colorado jail on a pot charge. Mighta been true! He nailed Steve McQueen too. McQueen was NOT a good actor but he was in some good movies and had a off screen persona that made him what people thought he was- "King of Cool".

Barbi said...

I know it's off your topic, Ferr, but couldn't resist this:

Robert Mitchum was hot for my mother! She lived near Hollywood and he would stop and chat while she was outdoors mowing the lawn.

But she wouldn't date him because he was married to Dorothy!

This gets more interesting. Years later, I lived across the road from a ranch he owned. Never saw him, though. I think it was a hobby ranch.

Anonymous said...

Hi Ferr
I know! Cool guy, right?

Most of Mitchum's quotes were pretty rough on people--all except one ( which was quite lovely ) about his co-star, Deborah Kerr, from "Heaven Knows".

By the way, I agree with you about McQueen. As an actor he was so overrated...and offscreen he was a thug, a real angry guy who smacked around both his wives.

Anyway, I love your blog...and I love some of the comments people are leaving!

Keep up the good work.

ex-ferrer said...

Thanks!

The John Wayne stuff was funny too. I always figured Wayne walked like he did because he was drunk. But, that AND 4" lifts would cause that sort of walk!

Sadly true about McQueen being a wife-beater. That's not tough. Not "cool".

Both were movie stars rather than actors- a prominent presence on the screen. Maybe Mitchum wasn't much better but, he sounds like he didn't take it too seriously and he had some fun with it.

Anonymous said...

Yeah...that stuff about John Wayne was funny. Who knew the guy needed lifts!
I also liked the way Mitchum summed up Method actors Al Pacino, Robert Deniro and Jack Nicholson ( who, by the way, have now become caricatures of themselves and really suck ) as, "They are all small".
Mitchum once talked about how he asked his wife to marry him. ( I can't remember who the interviewer was ) Anyway, his proposal line--"Stick with me baby and you'll be farting through silk."
Who could say no to that? heehee
Gotta' love it.

ex-ferrer said...

Must have been something in the beer back then. My FIL promised his bride "rocks as big as diamonds". I always admired that honesty and bar-setting.

I pretty much agree with Mitchum's assessment of those three, I've enjoyed a lot of their roles but, they are best when they don't stray too far what made them famous. Especially Deniro- he's a gangster. Pacino peaked with The Godfather. Jack's maybe more rounded of the three.

Anonymous said...

Byline: Deer Whisperer/Luke

If I had cable/dish TV, I'd give this show a 'go' at least once. It's what "Survivor" could be, but likely shouldn't be -- with so many contestants (human beings).

While taking in some of Amazing Race and Big Brother (no other 'reality' show is for me), the games in those environment/condition elements, gamesmanship, and social factors are what keeps me tuning in "Survivor".

Ferrerman and I have exchanged Offbeat posts about how Topix is somewhat akin to "Survivor" -- but without gals in bikinis!

The social aspect of Topix is touted, too; even if that includes deeds of a kangaroo court.

Yeah, the last documented public lynching in the U.S. happened in Indiana in the '30s.

I've read that it was quite the soiree.

ex-ferrer said...

I was just reading about "Survivor Orgy Island" new this Fall on CBS so, the nudity concept seems to be catching on. Seriously though, the survival on Naked And Afraid is more serious than Survivor.

Big Brother is a guilty pleasure. I used to watch it just for tips on how to handle Topix better! In fact, one of the first people I posted with on Topix, grieved me for watching BB. She called it "Topix on TV!" TRUE THAT!

Anonymous said...

byline: Deer Whisperer/Luke


Big Brother, more so than Survivor, correlates very well with topix, indeed.

Rose of Tralee said...

Ok - this is a bit off topix as well *wink - and maybe belongs in the previous race car driver post for which I had nothing to say...that is until Barbi swung this one in the direction of (hash Tag#) famous men who flirted with my mother.....and then I remembered one of my mom's romantic encounters with the well known. She had a few.

Called mom this morning and asked her who that famous race car driver was who'd asked to marry her - and whose proposal she had rejected.

Roger Ward

Said he was too old for her. She wanted a steady guy who'd stick it out. She figured Ward would eventually wrap himself around a tree. She also said "your not calling to tell me he's dead are you?" and I'm not going to call her back and tell her that he is LOL

ex-ferrer said...

Interesting. I had never heard of him. Winning the Indy 500 TWICE is pretty damn cool.

I think the bad thing about romancing any race car driver is that they always wanna finish first. Very selfish!

Anonymous said...

byline: Deer Whisperer/Luke

to Rose: cool story! As I was reading the first paragraph, Parnelli Jones (from CA) was my impulsive guess. Both he and Ward won Indy 500s and other series races, and very competitive (meaning good). Your mom made a wise choice, I'm sure.

to Ferrerman: would that be true of Stoker Ace? :0 [fictonal NASCAR champ of film -- played by Burt Reynolds]

Anonymous said...

Hi Ferr
A little off topic, again...

Your FIL promising his bride "rocks as big as diamonds" made me laugh---it looked like something Yogi Berra might say.

These made me smile:
www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/y/yogi_berra.html