Thursday, February 18, 2010

Eyes Wide Shut

Meet young Donnie, a kid I knew in Tennessee. Nice boy, a very talented sheetrock finisher who, in order to advance his knowledge of the trades, hired on as a painter at one of the companies I worked for. For a time I was charged with teaching him the tricks of the trade. I found him to be a quick study and he was attentive to my teachings. This was important because it never ceased to amaze me how many rookies would try to reinvent the wheel of painting as if the millions that came before them were laboring away in ignorance awaiting their salvation in the form a savant messiah of the brush and roller. I spoke, Donnie listened.

Donnie was married with two small children, a boy and a girl. i presumed they were all happy but, I later learned that Donnie, like most of us fellas, had a desire for other women. For some of us, one's too many and a hundred ain't enough. He also liked the thought of his young wife sharing in his desire for women that weren't her. That happens. It might have been that he was seeking her approval of his lust by involving her in the action. I think that was a large part of it but, well, two women at once is part of Male Fantasy 101, a required course in life (though some opt to take it on-line rather than go to the actual classes).

Donnie took the Mrs. off to titty bars to seek suitable partners for "their" fantasy. Far be it from me to paint all dancers with the same brush (too good of a painter for that) but, a strip club is a good place to find women as they are naked and, well, lots of things happen when you are naked, many of them really good.

The couple experimented with a few different women until they found "the one". Mrs. Donnie liked "the one" a lot. She liked her so much she kicked Donnie to the curb. Donnie went from being a happy hubby and daddy to being a child support-paying, divorced guy. I think it took about three months for this turnaround.

I found out about all this when the fellas at work were snickering about Donnies situation. Men in general and construction workers in particular are the biggest gossips this side of a Christian woman's sewing circle. I was surprised to hear what had happened to this nice quiet kid but, I wasn't surprised that he hadn't shared his story with me. See, when I next saw Donnie, he explained to me why he had purposely NOT told me.

"You would have told me not to do it", he admitted.

He was right about that. I passed on the "I told ya's..." because I hadn't told him 'cause he hadn't told me. It wasn't part of my curriculum. If he had asked, I would have advised against it. I'm old school in a lot of ways. I'm old enough to know that if you go looking for trouble, you'll find it. Trouble will also find you when you least expect it but, it's somehow easier to deal with when it happens that way. If you go into something with eyes wide shut, you're damning the consequences. Eyes wide open is to be aware of the dangers whether you voice them or not.

If he saw it as sanctioned cheating it was because he was seeing it with his blind, third eye. I'm not a marriage counselor- don't even play one on TV like a Dr. Phil. I know that, anecdotally, lots of couples are very happy to share their bed with others. If it works for them- great. Snake handlers and Shakers are happy with their religions but, that doesn't mean their beliefs will work for everyone. Clearly though, Donnie and his third eye quickly became lost in the new translation of their desires. Had his wife always had secret lesbian desires? I don't know, I never met her. I'm not sure how things are with them all today as I lost touch with Donnie several years ago. The two women may still be together and Donnie may have found a new love as well.

Having a threesome doesn't mean the end of a marriage. It's just that if you get to that particular fork in the road of a relationship, one or the both of you (preferably both) might like stop and check the map to see how you all got there and if that's where you really need to be.

Be careful about asking for directions though. It might be a hot chick that you ask and well, y'all can fill in the blanks from there.

Happy motoring!

No comments: